We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Placencia vs. Caulker vs. Ambergris

ebg
Palo Alto, CA
5 posts
Save Topic
Placencia vs. Caulker vs. Ambergris

Hi all,

Good grief - just when I thought I had my mind made up to stay in Placencia for 7 nights at the end of April 05...I saw some pics that made the town look kinda "dowdy" - but maybe they were crap photographers. I Then fell upon info/pics for Ambergris Caye & Caye Caulker...they look unexpectedly cool for a beach getaway.

So I'm more or less at an impasse. If I was willing to jump from place to place, I'd just do all three. But I want to settle in and really get to know the people/area in which I'm staying.

Priorities - stay on the Beach (tourquoise water/white sand beach a plus), cool laid-back atmosphere, friendly people, safe for solo woman traveler, no Miami Beach-like tourist madness....I have no need for crazy nightlife, but I do want some good cute shops to poke through and a good place to stay on the beach.

Here's what I think I know: Placencia is super-friendly & laid-back. Ambergris has the tourquoise water, a cool-looking downtown area, but is pretty touristy (I don't want Americanized culture!). Caye Caulker...I don't know much about.

Million dollar question - what are the pros/cons of these places? So many choices... =( If you have traveled to any or all of these places, PLEASE HELP. I need to reserve this trip soon!

~ E.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
Belize Cayes, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Placencia vs. Caulker vs. Ambergris

I've stayed in Placencia once for a few days. We had a really nice time. There really isn't much to the village. Not much shopping. Several good restaurants. Nice people. The beach was pretty, but I don't remember the sane being white. The water wasn't as blue as I'd hoped. We do hope to return one day.

We've stayed on Ambergris three times, will be returning in May. The beaches are pretty, but not very swimmable in most places. The water is gorgeous, that beautiful bright blue.

Defnitely more going on, and lots of tourists. But, that's sort of a relative term. We're still talking about, maybe, a couple of hundred people, not thousands. Last time we were there is was Belize Independence Day. So much fun. There are tons of restaurants and bars. Usually some live music going on in the fairly early evening (we aren't late night people).

In both Placencia and Ambergris, the local population and the tourists seem to blend pretty well. Lots of local kids on the beach, whole families on the weekends.

I've only spent part of a day on Caye Caulker. It was off season and really quiet when we were there. We had lunch on the main drag and the only living creature we saw outside the entire time was a dog sleeping in the middle of the street. The beaches aren't as nice, in my opinion.

As you can tell, Ambergris is our favorite. We did fly from Placencia to San Pedro last February. It was pretty easy, and we were in San Pedro by noon.....if you do decide to try and see both. Jean

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
Belize Cayes, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize