We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Caye for us?

Wales
Level Contributor
222 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Which Caye for us?

Hi there,

We are travelling to Belize next August and are wondering which caye will be best for us.

- Mid Twenties

- Budget Travelers

- Snorklers (no PADI)

- Not party animals

- Enjoy the beach

I've looked into caye caulker and ambergris caye, edginf towards caye caulker however open to any ideas :)

Thanks

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Caye for us?

Caulker is a great place to stay. However, very few beaches. Ambergris is overall more expensive, but, the beaches are much nicer and there are decent places to stay, right on the beach, for not much money.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Caye for us?

If you are limiting yourself to only those two choices, I would guess Caye Caulker, but take note of the above comment regarding beaches. Why don't you consider other spots in Belize such as Hopkins and Placencia for the beaches or Tobacco Caye or Glovers Atoll for a true island experience.

Wales
Level Contributor
222 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Caye for us?

Thank you. I will look into those places and see how they fit with our plans. Tobacco Caye looks lovely but slightly out of our way,

Is a day trip to ambergris do able from caye caulker to enjoy a beachy day?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Caye for us?

Caulker and Ambergris are 20-30 minutes apart by water taxi.

You can do a beach day on Caulker, the Split has a beach and a beach bar. It's shore just isn't one long stretch of beach.

Tobacco Caye is minuscule. You can walk around the entire perimeter of the island in about five minutes. And, there are about six small hotels/places to stay on it. I enjoyed my stay there, but, was very much ready to leave after three days.

Edited: 6:05 pm, October 28, 2013
Wales
Level Contributor
222 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Caye for us?

Thank you everyone, we have decided on Caye Caulker!

6. Re: Which Caye for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 07, 2015