We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Day trip Mayan Ruins from Placencia?

Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best Day trip Mayan Ruins from Placencia?

What are the best Mayan Ruins to visit from Placencia (Maya Beach)

We don't mind a long drive if it's to see better ruins - I understand the ones that are closest to Placencia aren't necessarily the best., but we don't want to stay over night. We'd love to go to Lamanai but I think it's too far?

Is Xunachuct (sp?) our best bet?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Day trip Mayan Ruins from Placencia?

Xunantunich is your best bet. You can't realistically get to Caracol or Tikal on a day trip. Don't know about Lamanai. Xunantunich is pretty cool in its own right. You also get a look at San Ingacio as well.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Day trip Mayan Ruins from Placencia?

The two easily accessible sites in Toledo are very interesting. Nim Li Punit has the largest stelae found in Belize and Lubaantun is very special, especially the way it was renovated by archeologists. Lamanai is too far. Xunantunich is 3.5 hrs and I think the combo of the two in Toledo are interesting enough, much closerand in the Maya villages.

3. Re: Best Day trip Mayan Ruins from Placencia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 20, 2009