We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on mainland

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
11 reviews
Where to stay on mainland

Hubby and I just got back from Belize last week and stayed on Ambergris Caye (Tranquility Bay and Sunbreeze). We loved our time there and are thinking that we would like to do a split next year, one week Roatan (we are avid snorkelers) and one week Belize. We would like to maybe try the mainland in the hopes of some wildlife viewing on that trip and would really appreciate some ideas of where to stay. We are an older couple so even though caving, tubing etc. would have appealed to us several years ago that is not what we are looking for at this time :).

If possible, we would prefer not to be too far away from Belize City, ie within a couple of hours drive and it would also be a bonus if we were just a short distance by boat from the reef for snorkeling.

Thanks, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay on mainland

Hopkins, 10 miles from the reef, on the mainland, 30 mins drive from the Jaguar Preserve. Two plus hr drive from Belize Intl

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,837 posts
331 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay on mainland

Have you considered staying in Honduras instead of flying to Belize for your 2nd week? It would be easy to split between Copán Ruinas in western Honduras and a place like Omega Lodge in the mountains outside of La Ceiba.

www.omegatours.info

Or pick a place in Belize with good snorkeling from shore - South Water Caye, maybe? - and some mainland stops; Cayo and Toledo Districts are 2 of our favorites. That way you would save yourself the expense and/or time of transitioning between countries. Just my 2 lempiras' worth...

My photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy planning!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Rosedale, Canada
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay on mainland

Thanks, Katie and Hopefulist, some great ideas there.

We aren't going until the spring so lots to think about there. We do want to get back to Roatan though, that much we've decided.

4. Re: Where to stay on mainland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 29, 2015