We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Need Info On Resorts In San Pedro!!!

SeaTac
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Need Info On Resorts In San Pedro!!!

My husband and I are going to travel to somewhere on the east coast of Central America for a dive vaction sometime next year. Other than diving I also enjoy shopping and good restaurants.

We have the ability to join Interval International (I.I.) to trade for a resort in this area. We were initially very interested in going to Roatan, Honderas but I.I. does not have a resort in that location. So the other option is to go to Belize, also great diving according to all the magazines and web-sites. I.I. has four resorts in Belize. They are all in San Pedro and they are:

Aqua Marina Suites

Belize Yacht Club Resort

Captain Morgan's Vacation Beach Club (reviews look suspect on this one)

Costa Maya Reef Resort

So, if someone that knows the area could tell me their opinion of these resorts and were you would stay if you had the choice or even if it is worth it to go there or just pay for another resort.

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Need Info On Resorts In San Pedro!!!

I'm no expert, but the rumor mill has Aquamarina Suites in financial difficulties, I wouldn't book ahead to stay there. Who knows what next year might bring.

We walked by Belize Yacht club this morning and commented on what a nice looking property it is. Once again the rumor mill has some negatives about the place. I suspect there is a huge difference in the quality of the condos. We were down here looking at properties to buy a few months ago and the prices at BYC had huge discrepincies. One unit for sale was more because the roof had just been replaced, which makes me wonder about the other units.

I've only had a drink at Captain Morgan's bar. I like the look of the place, my husband doesn't. Go figure. It's a few miles north, you'll need a golf cart or to take the water taxi to get to town.

I've never been to Costa Maya, too far north for my legs to peddle on my bicycle.

Bottom line, I'd look at either Captain Morgan's or Belize Yacht Club. I like the location of BYC better, easy stroll into town on the beach.

SeaTac
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Need Info On Resorts In San Pedro!!!

It sounds as though theYacht Club is the best choice. I noticed on the reviews that most people really like it and they looked like REAL reviews. The ones for the Cpt. Morgan's that are positive look staged, the ones that don't look staged are negative (just my impression).

I would also like to know anything anyone knows about dive services and who you might recommed.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. The people on this forum are really indespensable!

3. Re: Help! Need Info On Resorts In San Pedro!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 18, 2009