We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

autieG
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

Hi All,

My husband and I are looking to travel to Costa Rica for one week. We want to be within walking distance to a beautiful swimable beach with decent snorkeling, maybe kayaking too but still be close to all the jungle wildlife for photography. With only one week we don't want to do a bunch of traveling and driving. Looking for a relaxing week away. Here are a few of my questions:

What part of Costa Rica should we travel to? Is there somewhere that has beautiful white sand beaches, clear blue water near the wildlife of the jungles?

Any suggestions on where to stay? We're not planning to rent a car so somewhere that has a great restaurant and some restaurants and things to do nearby as well.

We are somewhat flexible on our timing. What month in Spring to early summer do you recommend for the best weather and rates? We were thinking mid April?

Thanks a bunch!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

You posted on the Belize forum. Did you mean Costa Rica or Belize?

autieG
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

oops I meant Belize...we are looking into both = )

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

I don't know anywhere you can find that in Belize. It isn't known for gorgeous beaches, though there are a few places. If they're on a caye, the wildlife will be limited. If they're on the mainland, no walk in snorkeling. Many folks choose to split their trip between inland and blue water locations or - if they have a week or less and a strong priority 1 way or the other, choose 1 and take trips to the other.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

Manual Antonio Costa Rica

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
281 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

Placencia and Hopkins are the Belize destinations that come to mind, however you will need to do some travel to get to the jungle/inland destinations.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

And a fairly long boat trip to get to snorkeling.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,438 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

Manual Antonio Costa Rica is not known for its snorkeling.

Even with a week in Belize, it's easy enough to spend 2-3 nights in a jungle destination, then 3-4 nights on one of the northern cayes for beach and snorkeling.

Although, other than far north Ambergris at Tranquility Bay, the good snorkeling will be by boat. Short trips though, less than a mile to the reef, vs. 10 miles from Hopkins and 18 from Placencia.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

Arguably the best snorkeling is from the atolls, as far from jungle as you can get in Belize.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

You might like Placencia, for the best beach in Belize, along with good food and fun, and Cayo, for the jungle, waterfalls, caves, and ruins, along with some more great food. That's a common split. Like mentioned above, Belize isn't known for amazing beaches, but there are many places in Cayo that have river beaches, so you can swim, tube, and canoe all around.

Vancouver and...
Level Contributor
167 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go for a bit of beach and jungle

Last year we did 3 days in Crooked Tree (stayed at the awesome Crooked Tree Lodge).

We did birding in the Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary, which was phenominal. Then we did the new river, jungle, Laminai ruins tour. Again, it was a great experience. All arranged by Angie and Mick at Crooked Tree.

Then went to Caye Caulker for the next four days, relaxed in/on the water, we did the three stop snorkel tour/sail boat trip.

A great split trip that was so easy to navigate. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Get answers to your questions about Belize