We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Cancun to Belizez

Worcester...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Cancun to Belizez

Hi I've never asked a question on here before. My husband and I are heading to Belize on November 1st (this coming Friday) and I've been doing a ton of research on taking the bus from Cancun to San Ignacio Belize. I am more than aware of the night bus, the thing is there is a good chance we will be getting into Cancun around 10 am and I really don't want to wait around for the express bus. We'd rather just keep it moving if we can. My questions are 1) Are there buses available during the day that can get us there? I know they probably won't be express buses so that leads to my 2nd question 2) About how long will the bus ride be? I know it looks like we'll have to go to Belize City first and then on to San Ignacio. My main concern is that there will still be buses running from Belize City to San Ignacio when we get there. Also, I've read it can take twice as long from Belize City to San Ignacio by bus so if I have an idea of what time we will arrive in Belize City I might be able to hire a transfer driver. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,944 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Cancun to Belizez

Lots of great information here:

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,587 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Cancun to Belizez

1) From Cancun airport, you can get a bus to either Cancun bus terminal or Playa del Carmen. It might be easier to get a bus to Cancun bus terminal because Playa has two bus terminals and it might be confusing if you've never been there.

From Cancun bus terminal, ADO express buses depart to Chetumal about every two hours -- they all stop at Playa del Carmen on the way.

If you get the airport shuttle bus from the airport to Playa, the bus terminates at the terminal at 5th Ave. You'll have to taxi to the other bus terminal to get an express bus to Chetumal. Sometimes the airport shuttle bus stops at both terminals.

At Chetumal, if you want to continue by bus, you have to taxi to the New Market (Nuevo Mercado) and get a Belizean bus. These are old school buses and take about 4 hours to travel to the bus terminal at Belize City. where you can change to a bus to San Ignacio. The Belizean buses from Chetumal stop crossing the border around 7pm. You can still get a taxi to the border (70 pesos), walk across the border and get a bus on the Belize side.

A more comfortable option might be a private transfer service.

2) An ADO express bus from Cancun to Chetumal is about 5.5 to 6 hours. Your time in Chetumal might be about an hour (changing terminals & waiting for a bus to depart). The bus from Chetumal to BC is about 4 hours. A bus from BC to SI is about 2 hours.

From BC, buses to SI depart every 30 minutes up to about 9pm.

If you need to overnight somewhere, Chetumal would be a good choice.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Worcester...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Cancun to Belizez

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed!

4. Re: Bus from Cancun to Belizez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 29, 2014