We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

Union City, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

Well of course after booking our airplane and Cave Branch reservations I read all the postings of the robbery and rape. I'm travelling with 3 teenage daughters ages 18, 16 and 13. My husband will be with us, but is the area where Cave Branch is safe? My first posting was about mosquitos and malaria, but now I'm more concerned about the crime. Maybe we just shouldn't go until things get better. Any suggestions?

Boston MA
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

If you feel that way , why not fly directly from international airport to Placencia via tropic or maya air _ online _ and stay where we did just 2 weeks ago- Deb and Dave's Last Resort ; take day trips to Cockscomb and ruins and eat at The Thatch - swim near your doorway abd have a lot of fun with your growing family in a fun place to be.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

We stayed in Hopkins and took the 2 hour van trip to Caves Branch. The area looked very safe. We loved Belize and did not feel threatened in the areas we were at. Are you staying at Caves Branch?

Union City, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

Yes our reservations are at Cave Branch right now, but I think I'd feel quite a bit safer staying along the coast rather than the more remote area of the jungle which is what Cave Branch looks like to me.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

Don't want to talk you out of Caves Branch - do not know if it is in a risky area. But the Hopkins area (Stann Creek District) where we stayed seemed very safe. Seems like Ambregis Caye also is.

We stayed at the Jaguar Reef Lodge. Loved it! There were soooo many fun adventure tours. Right beside it is Almond Beach Resort - rooms more upscale. www.jaguarreef.com - I think. www.almondbeachbelize.com

Union City, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

How are the beaches at Almond Beach? It sounds like a nice area. Branch Cave sounds wonderful, but I just don't feel as safe in the more isolated jungle areas. I guess it's in the Cayo DIstrict which is the same area as the problems, but at least an hour or more away. I've been emailing the person at Cave Branch and they haven't had any trouble there, but I would just feel safer along the coastal areas in the bigger resorts. Thanks for the info.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

Beach is very nice. The water is great for swimming, etc but not much snorkeling right off the beach and the water off the beach is not the crystal clear caribbean blue. However, a short boat to the reef and there are the crystal clear blue waters of dreams.

I you would like to see my pictures and read my trip report, goto …charter.net/cvechkols/BelizeTrip2006.htm. Please be patient while pictures download. On site, click on arrows to go to other pages.

The tubing in caves you see in the pictures is Caves Branch.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

Don't know if you ntoced this but, on the Almond Beach Resort site it says:

Hopkins was recently voted "The friendliest Village in Belize" by Belize First Magazine, and nearly everyone in the village speaks English.

Edgewater, Maryland
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

Thanks for giving the link to your web page. My husband and I enjoyed it. We are going to JRL end of July/beginning of August and are so looking forward to it. The resort has been very helpful with all of our questions too. Again thanks!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

If you arrange a transfer to Caves Branch, they pick you up and get you there safely, end of subject. And when you are on a day trip, you are safe. The guides are very knowledgeable and know exactly what they are doing. I was there three days and never once felt unsafe.

new york
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ok now I'm afraid to go to Belize

jme630, Please post a trip report! Thanks