We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 nights in Belize. Need itinerary suggestions.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
11 nights in Belize. Need itinerary suggestions.

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are headed to Belize on March 10th through the 21st. We would like the focus to be the ocean (we like the looks of Caye Caulker), but it seems like we will have the time to catch some of the other attractions. I liked the looks of Placencia, would like to visit a ruin and liked the sound of cave tubing, but I'm not sure doing all of that will be realistic price wise (we are on a pretty tight budget). How would you arrange your trip from your experience. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Some info that might help. We are in our mid-twenties, both enjoy snorkeling, like beaches, I'm a novice diver and we would both like to relax somewhere with a drink (or possibly more) at the end of the day. Thanks.

Tsunami Adventures
Gear Rentals, River Rafting & Tubing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours
Mundo Maya Jungle Tours
River Rafting & Tubing, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Tuff E Nuff Tours
River Rafting & Tubing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Belize Jungle Trek
River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
kentucky
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 nights in Belize. Need itinerary suggestions.

Hello,

I just returned from Belize last night and would be happy to share some ideas. I did not go to Caye Caulker because there is no beach to speak of there and you have to pay for snorkel trips. We decided to go to Tobacco Caye where you can literally walk right out and snorkel and we were not disappointed. This island is a tiny little hideaway that has a small dive shop with a great divemaster, Jen, who will set up any kind of dive you want. Tobacco Caye Lodge has great accomodations for a great price. It is clean, has hot water, and absolutely wonderful food. Arturo is the manager and Mark is the owner. They have a small staff that make you feel pampered without being pretentious. There are only six rooms at this lodge but each one has its own porch, hammock, and beach chairs. They have a great outdoor bar where you can watch the sunset and listen to Caribbean music while you socialize. If you like relaxation with great snorkeling/diving and being well fed for a reasonable price, this is the place. Tell them Judy from Kentucky sent you.

As for other places, Placencia is great as well, very laid back, very reasonable prices, great beaches, very friendly people, good tours to take. take the Monkey River tour. Stay at the Sea Spray Hotel. Rooms are $40 per night and are also oceanfront The hotel restaurant, De Tatch, is the best restaurant in town and again is very reasonable! they have nightly specials for 20BZ (10 US) like Coconut Cilantro shrimp, fresh fish, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 nights in Belize. Need itinerary suggestions.

For ruins and cave tubing, plan for a few nights in the Cayo district where you'll find plenty of maya sites and caving opprotunities

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 nights in Belize. Need itinerary suggestions.

I second the suggestion to plan a few nights in Cayo. Many people only go to the beach areas and miss the rainforest/jungle/Mayan ruins. The birds, ruins, and cave tubing are really great. You could fly in and spend a few nights in Cayo, then spend the last week at the beach for snorkeling, diving, etc... Remember, because of the reef, the beaches are not huge and sandy like in other areas.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
USA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 nights in Belize. Need itinerary suggestions.

I agree with the previous posts. If you���re going to be there 10 days, you can spend time in two different areas without feeling rushed. You can do day trips to Cockscomb and a ruin or two from Placencia, but Cayo has a lot more options. Even with the cost of travel, I think you���d save money by splitting your time between the two. Hope you enjoy it!

Mentioned in this post
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
New Hampshie
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 nights in Belize. Need itinerary suggestions.

ihux,

I'm interested in your vacation. We are headed to Belize in April for 10 days. Plan on a few days in the jungle and the rest on Tobacco or other. Hope to read a post from you.

Thanks