We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Cancun

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation to Cancun

We are going to Belize in April for 5 days, then we need to travel to Cancun for a wedding. I see a lot on the sites about buses from Cancun to Belize, but not much on people's experiences going from Belize to Cancun. Are overnight buses dangerous? Where do the buses leave from? I also can't seem to find schedules that are in english to reserve tickets. Thanks!!

MayaWalk Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Caverns & Caves, Archaeology Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Eco Tours
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Cancun

The ADO bus service in Mexico is excellent.

If leaving from Belize City, there is only one ADO service per day to Cancun. The buses are first class with 44 comfortable seats, video, toilet and air conditioning that seems to have only two settings, off and freeze, so dress warmly. In Belize City, buses arrive at and depart from the Belize City bus terminal (commonly known as Novelo’s) located on West Collet Canal. These buses do not go to Chetumal in either direction.

On the Cancun route, stops include Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Corozal and Orange Walk, but passengers are not allowed to use these buses to travel within Belize, for example, to travel from Belize City to Corozal. Passengers can board the buses at Orange Walk and Corozal only if their final destinations are in Mexico. On the Belize City to Cancun route, the bus stops at the Cancun airport.

Cancun to Belize City

Departs from Cancun bus terminal daily at 10:15 pm; from Playa del Carmen at 11:40 pm; from Tulum at 12:45 am.

Fares to BC: MX$496 from Cancun

Trip time: 8:10 hours.

Belize City to Cancun

Departs from BC bus terminal daily at 7:30 pm with stops at Orange Walk (9:00 pm), Corozal (10:00 pm), Tulum (4:00 am), Playa del Carmen (5:00 am) and Cancun Airport (6:30 am). Arrives at Cancun bus terminal at 7:00 am.

Fares: BZ$79.00 to Cancun (one way).

In the past 10 years or so, I've heard of only one bus hold-up on that run and no accidents, so I'd say, very safe.

The ADO site does not have an English option. A site called ticketbus.com.mx has an English option, but not the Belize bus schedules. I haven't tried to reserve online, but have heard that many people have problems doing that.

This water taxi company in Belize is an agent of ADO -- you can try to reserve with them... http://www.sanpedrowatertaxi.com/index.html

If you don't like overnight buses or are leaving from Ambergris Caye, you can use a transfer service to go from Belize City to Chetumal (or all the way to Cancun), or a water taxi to go from San Pedro to Chetumal. In Chetumal, ADO buses to Cancun depart about every 2 hours.

This site might have some useful information...

Edited: 3:26 pm, January 12, 2013
2. Re: Transportation to Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Belize