We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go first time to Belize- clear beach, family friend

nyc
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
where to go first time to Belize- clear beach, family friend

booking a last minute trip in June- looking for an area that has clear water family friendl - a great beach - is a must - want to see mayan ruins one day but willing to travel to them. ideally wants somwhere that we could walk to a little town to go resturants at night- recommadations of towns - Maya , or Ambergris Caye

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go first time to Belize- clear beach, family friend

To be absolutely honest, there aren't world class beaches anywhere in Belize. There are nice beaches, but, they really aren't the reason people choose to travel to Belize.

That said, there are nice beaches on Ambergris. However, there is also sea grass in the water, and most swimming is done off the docks. Ramon's and Banyan Bay both have nice beaches where you can walk in and swim. There are also other places where you can as well. The water is clear and Caribbean blue.

Day trips to the mainland to tour ruins are long, about 12 hours. I think the trip to the Mayan site at Lamanai is worth every minute. It's an awesome day.

I've never been to Hopkins, can't comment much.

Placencia is a peninsula on the mainland. The major Mayan sites are quite a distance from there as well, but, I think there are smaller sites that are much closer. The village of Placencia is at the far southern tip of the peninsula. There are beautiful beaches, but the sand is darker and coarser. When I've been there (which hasn't been often), the water has been sort of murky.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go first time to Belize- clear beach, family friend

you want tulum

Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go first time to Belize- clear beach, family friend

Placencia.

4. Re: where to go first time to Belize- clear beach, family friend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, June 21, 2013