We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weight limits on Maya Island Air?

NH
Level Contributor
109 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
weight limits on Maya Island Air?

Can't seem to find anything about weight limits on Maya Air web site. Does anyone know if it's the same as regular airlines...50 lbs..or less. We will be flying from Belize to Ambergris Caye. I'm guessing it's a smaller plane and wonder if the weight limit may be different?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weight limits on Maya Island Air?

I copied this from their website for you. Google is your friend.

BAGGAGE POLICY

FREE BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE 50LBS. Overweight luggages are those exceeding the free baggage allowance and fees are then applicable as follows: 0.25USD per lb. Up to 100lbs. In cases where a passenger luggage exceeds the preceding policy, a special request must be made to the station manager. The dimension of any piece of luggage should not exceed 62 inches in perimeter (length + height + depth).

Carrier reserves the right to refuse carriage to any person who acquired a ticket in violation of the applicable law or carrier’s tariffs, rules or regulations. Passengers are reminded that they must confirm their continuing or return reservation a minimum of 6 hours before scheduled departure time. Before departure, you should carefully examine these terms, particularly the conditions of carriage available upon request from any MAYA ISLAND AIR representative.

AIRLINE CONNECTIONS

All Passengers arriving on international flights connecting to local vacation destinations must ensure that there is a minimum 1hr connection time between their international arrival and Maya Island Air’s Philip Goldson International Airport departure. Note: All departure times shown on Maya Island Airs website or other published documents are shown in local Belize time (central time with out daylight savings).

NH
Level Contributor
109 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weight limits on Maya Island Air?

Thank you. I did go to their website........somehow I missed it.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weight limits on Maya Island Air?

I have never heard of anyone being charged for additional baggage, although that isn't to say it doesn't happen.

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weight limits on Maya Island Air?

I am flying Maya Air in a week. I understand the 50 pound checked bag, but what about carry on? We are divers, the checked bag is dive gear and my 2 changes of clothes for 8 days. I do pack light. I use a back pack for my carry on. In it are our regs, masks, computers and lap top. I will also have a small purse. My husband will have a back pack and a small roll on (the kind that fits in the over head on a large plane) with underwater camera gear. I don't want to pay overage fees.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weight limits on Maya Island Air?

carry on will be no more than a purse or small bag, they use small planes called caravans.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weight limits on Maya Island Air?

There is no under seat or overhead storage on either Maya or Tropic. Anything you carry on will be on your lap.

The roller bags you carried on to Belize City will have to be checked.

San Diego
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: weight limits on Maya Island Air?

Can you carry on a bottle of wine? Not sure if liquids are banned on internal flights. Thanks for your responses

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weight limits on Maya Island Air?

http://www.mayaislandair.com/

http://www.tropicair.com/

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weight limits on Maya Island Air?

The waiting area at BZE has both domestic and international passengers. So, no, you cannot carry on a bottle of wine. You have to go through security just like the US to get to the boarding area.

Punta Negra
Level Contributor
53 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weight limits on Maya Island Air?

Actually if you are flying into Belize International Airport and then onward to other destinations in Belize you can carry on liquor (including wine). Easiest way is to buy it at the Duty Free IN the airport in Belize after immigration and prior to Customs.

When you exit from Customs and check in at Maya or Tropic they will take your duty free liquor and meet you on the other side of security with it on the tarmac as you are boarding your onward flight.

This will also save you a good bit of money as all spirits with the exception of rum & beer are fairly expensive in Belize.

Edited: 6:50 pm, November 15, 2012