We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to visit in the jungle to see wildlife

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to visit in the jungle to see wildlife

The more reviews I read, the more confused I get!

For our first trip to Belize, we plan 4 days near the reef and 3 days in the jungle. I really want to see the howler monkeys, toucans and other native life.

If we stay at the Lodge at Chaa Creek or DePlooy's , will we see howler monkeys etc. or would we have a better experience at Howler Monkey Resort or Caves Branch and Jungle lodge? (My husband is very concerned that I will not enjoy the bugs of the jungle, in Figi, the insects created an allergic reaction).

Any and all advice would be appreciated!!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to visit in the jungle to see wildlife

There are troops of howler monkeys at Chaa Creek. We heard them every day, but were only able to spot one. They do have a lot of bird life and offer free birding hikes every morning. We saw a keel-billed toucan on one of our hikes. We also saw a porcupine one night. For our next trip, we want to check out Chan Chich, really well known for wildlife sightings, but may be more isolated and off the beaten path than you want to go. The wildlife is there at Chaa Creek, but no real guarantees that you'll see anything. It wasn't all that buggy until we ventured way into the jungle on one of our hikes.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to visit in the jungle to see wildlife

Maybe try Cockscomb Basin too.

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
77 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to visit in the jungle to see wildlife

Hi ZionHiker,

We stayed at Caves Branch and didn't see a lot of wildlife, but we were only there for 2 nights. Another family staying there had howler monkeys near their room every morning though. I didn't really find the bugs to be a problem.

If jungle wildlife is important too, I think Tikal just over the border in Guatemala would be ideal for you. I know you only have 3 days in the jungle, but if you are prepared to do a bit of travelling you can get to Tikal pretty easily from Belize (I'm in the middle of writing a blog on just that, but its not finished yet). You can do a day trip from San Ignacio, but if you want to see wildlife you'd be best off staying overnight at one of the hotels at the park entrance as the best time for wildlife is evening and early morning. You can organise overnight tours from San Ignacio, travel independently, or just the tour operators for transport and do you own thing when you get there (which we did).

Wildlife sightings are pretty much guaranteed, We saw howler monkeys, spider monkeys, coatimundis, agoutis, toucans, parrots and loads of other birds. There were 2 species of toucan in a tree close to our room and a coati wandering around in the hotel car park!

There's a small section on Tikal in my blog:

simonseeks.com/travel-guides/top-5-wildlife-…

There's also info on other wildlife encounters in Belize which you may find useful, eg the jaguar encounter at Belize Zoo, the iguana hatchery in San Ignacio and snorkelling near Caye Caulker (I'm working on a more detailed guide to CC which should be published soon).

Hope this is useful.

Charlotte

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to visit in the jungle to see wildlife

Thanks a bunch for sharing your experiences...gives us something to think about! Tikal is on my list of places to visit.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to visit in the jungle to see wildlife

Tikal is a great place to visit on all counts.

You will see monkeys at the Babbon Sanctuary, and for those visiting the south, a trip to the jungle of Monkey River is a must, you will see monkeys there, up close and virtually guaranteed.

Whilst we do have abundant wildlife in Belize, much is nocturnal, and of course, most are shy. So if you can do a night trail walk, that is your best chance of spotting wildlife.

An overnight stay at the zoo and a night tour of the zoo is a rewarding experience, although they are captive animals you will see them up close and have the chance to feed some fo them too.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to visit in the jungle to see wildlife

Best places to see monkeys in our experience were (1) Tikal and (2) Lamanai--especially if you overnight in either area. At Lamanai, the monkeys are completely unafraid of people--they will come within feet of you while eating--just don't stand directly under them if they start to squat on a branch!

7. Re: Best place to visit in the jungle to see wildlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:46 am, April 03, 2011