We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nabintunich, the stone cottages

Califonria
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
nabintunich, the stone cottages

has anyone stayed here.........tell us about it.......I've tried their web site but can't get there...........

Galveston, TX
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nabintunich, the stone cottages

I actually wrote this just a few hours ago for another person (with some edits)....

If you are looking for budget minded options, I once stayed at a place called Nabitunitch a couple of hours from the coast by van up on the border with Guatemala. The view from every cabin was of a indian ruin called Xunantuncih (sp?), talk about something you don't see everyday at sunrise or sunset (within walking distance maybe 25-30 minutes). The hosts cooked excellent meals (and would accomidate dietary needs), had cold beer and were very nice. The rooms were cheap, clean, and in overall good condition (no bugs, well maintained, clean towels, etc.) as were the grounds (it is a working cattle farm also) but lacked A/C. However being at the elevation these cottages were at a fan was more than sufficient for staying cool since the temps were in the high 60's low 70's at night. Their are tour companies in the area and we did an eco tour, went out to the rio frio caves/falls and visited tikal. A couple of other times we took a cab to the border and went into the local Guatemalan border town as well. It's pretty easy to schedule a van to transfer you from the coast up into the mountains or the reverse. The owners are a long term native Belizean and a British nurse (his wife) who runs a local medical clinic that she has operated for the general public off of donations and visiting doctors for well over probably two decades at this point. A lot of times you will find students their who are studying archelogy and are staying their while on field assignments etc. It can make for some interesting dinner conversations if you take your meals their instead of in town somewhere.

If you are taking tours, they will pick you up at the cottages, if you want to get into town you either have to walk up to the main road and catch the bus, catch a ride with the property owner, catch a cab coming back from a border drop off, or call to have cab come out and get you. It's really nothing big though. If they had checked me for a pulse when I cam back from this place, I would have been declared d.o.a.

Here is a link I just found, you can cut and paste it into your browser.

toucantrail.com/Nabitunich--The-Stone-Cottag…

2. Re: nabintunich, the stone cottages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, September 22, 2009