We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental to get to the Cayo District

Belding, Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental to get to the Cayo District

How easy is it to rent a car to get to the Cayo District from the airport? We are thinking this may be a good option, but I've heard that none of the roads are marked well and I don't want to get lost somewhere in the mountains!! Did anyone rent a car? If you did can you tell me who you went through and approximately how much it was to rent? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental to get to the Cayo District

The hywys are good and well marked. Even bumpy off road routes to visitors sites are marked. Figure about 80.00 per day, plus fuel, tax and insurance. Diesel costs less than gas. Plenty of people opt for self drive vacations.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental to get to the Cayo District

We just drove to San Ignacio a couple of weeks ago. I managed to make a wrong turn leaving the airport, but after I got heading the right direction it was a piece of cake. Nice drive, in fact. Just be aware that any time you come to a populated area, there will be some nasty speed bumps. Also lots of bicycle and pedestrian traffic.