We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel or scuba

Los Angeles...
9 posts
Save Topic
Snorkel or scuba

I am visiting Belize for the first time, and I am torn whether to spend the money to get SCUBA certified here at home so that I can dive when I get there, or whether to save the money and just snorkel.

I know there is an option of a resort course, but I didn't want to spend two days of my vacation on learning dives.

Help! Is getting certified worth it for 1 or maybe 2 days of scuba diving, or should I just snorkel? And on that note, is it better to scuba off of Amergris Caye or Placencia?

THANKS!!!!!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel or scuba

I'm a diver, so I think its worth getting certified at home. The reosrt course is quite simple-basic instruction and a dive to 40 ft. you can dive with the same operator while you are there, but can't go below 40 ft. Ambergris has more shallow dives than Placencia will, better for a resort course diver.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel or scuba

The snorkeling is great. You'd be better off on Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker I think.

If you decide to not spring for the certification, you'll still have a good time.

One thing to consider, I think, is will use the certification after this trip? If so, that's an argument to get certified. We considered it. Our open water training would have been in cold water in Feb. We could have finished it in Belize but like you I didn't want to learn and then leave. Maybe some day.

NYC
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel or scuba

I was in your same position. I learned to scuba and got open water certification before I went down to Belize.

I went diving at hol chan as well as snorkled the area. To me, scuba is an amazing experience - totally different being in the fish's environment than looking down at them.

That said, scuba is very expensive. Hundreds of dollars expensive.

If you plan on going diving after belize, then it becomes worth it. But if you do all of that just for a couple of dives in Belize, it will be a waste of money.

FYI- I did my first real dive at hol chan, with a max depth of 30' with minimal current. Great place to start.

4. Re: Snorkel or scuba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 17, 2009