We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning Belize trip

milano
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
planning Belize trip

hello! My husband and I at the end of august will be in belize after a round trip in guatemala.

we wish to spend our last days between sea, beach and chillout..

we'll arrive in caye caulker and, the day after, we wish to take a ragamuffin-night tour that left us in dangriga after 3 days.. (if the weather dont allow it we will stay in CC)

after that we don't know where to finish our last 5 days in belize.

We are thinking about Ambergris Caye, placencia or some little caye..

what do you suggest to us?

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
12 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: planning Belize trip

All good ideas, and if you liked CC, you could return (since it seems that you would have had only 1 night there).

For sea, beach & chill-out, the main locations are Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, Placencia and Hopkins.

The two cayes are quite different. AC is more developed and gets more tourists & retirees zipping around in golf carts, while CC is smaller, quieter and more laid-back. Both have good access to the barrier reef. AC has nicer beaches and more food options. CC is more popular with backpackers. I like both places -- I don't know which one you would prefer, but you probably have time for both.

Since you're ending the Raggamuffin trip at Dangriga (in the southern part of Belize), visiting Placencia or Hopkins is possible. Placencia has probably one of the best/biggest beaches in Belize. Hopkins is a small, quiet village -- some people love it, others hate it. The reef is farther from these two locations than from the cayes. There are also some good activities down south: Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary, Bocawina, zip-lines, drumming centres, Garifuna Museum, Maya sites. Placencia is more developed than Hopkins (and Caye Caulker), so more restaurant & bar options.

If you want other activities, head inland. For many mainland activities, stay at the town of San Ignacio or in one of the lodges in the rain-forest. Whichever you choose, there are a LOT of accommodation options for any budget. In town, you have restaurants, ATMs, grocery stores, tour companies, bars, etc. I've always found San Ignacio to be friendly and safe. The activities I'd put at the top of the list: Xunantunich, ATM (or other) cave, then you can choose from Cahal Pech, cave-tubing, hiking, waterfalls, Caracol, zip-lining. If you like zoos, visit the Belize Zoo on the way to or from San Ignacio.

Returning to Caulker or Ambergris also places you close to the airport if you're flying from Belize.

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Caye Caulker
Caye Caulker
2,466 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Raggamuffin Tours - Day Tours
Raggamuffin Tours - Day...
1,136 Reviews
Caye Caulker, Belize
Dangriga
Dangriga
Stann Creek, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
709 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Xunantunich
Xunantunich
1,170 Reviews
Cayo, Belize
The Belize Zoo
The Belize Zoo
1,650 Reviews
La Democracia, Belize
milano
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning Belize trip

thank you very much for your answer.

I'm thinking to go to AC or CC to be neares the airport but is it possible to get to the caye arriving at 4 pm in dangirga or it's better to stay one night in Hopkins (?) and the day before leaving for Ac? wich is the best way to arrive in AC?

Mentioned in this post
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: planning Belize trip

After arriving at Dangriga, the only way to get to AC on the same day would be by flight (if there are flights at that time of day). I haven't got time right now to check the schedules, but you can do that by going to the websites of Tropic Air and Maya Island Air to see if it's possible.

The runway on CC should be open by August, so you can check to see if it's possible to fly there. The new runway might have lights which will allow for later flighta.

It would be impossible to get back to BC by bus in time for the last water taxi. Even by private transfer service, you might arrive at BC just in time to see the last water taxi leaving.

If there are flights to BC, you could fly to Municipal Airport and probably get there in time for one of the last water taxis to the cayes.

If you can't get to the cayes on the same day, you could stay in Dangriga for one night and get an early start the next day.

My preference would be to get to one of the cayes rather than staying at Dangriga or Hopkins.

Mentioned in this post
Dangriga
Dangriga
Stann Creek, Belize
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
709 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: planning Belize trip

Both airlines have flights from Dangriga to BC Municipal after 4 pm, but only Tropic is showing a connecting flight to San Pedro (on the date I selected). The flight leaves Dangriga at 16:40, so you don't have much time, and can't be late. Since passengers must check-in 20 minutes before the departure, you really have to rely on arriving at Dangriga before 4pm.

Mentioned in this post
Dangriga
Dangriga
Stann Creek, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
milano
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: planning Belize trip

I think the best thing is to stay one night in dangirga..

and the day after leave early for AC. what about the trip? it's better by water or by bus?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: planning Belize trip

> what about the trip? it's better by water or by bus?

There isn't any public water taxi from Dangriga to AC, so your options to BC are flight, transfer service and bus, then your options to continue to AC are flight and water taxi.

I can't say which is better unless I know how you define "better". The flight is quickest. The bus + water taxi is cheapest.

There is a once per week water taxi from Dangriga to BC. Do you need details?

Edited: 10:13 am, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Dangriga
Dangriga
Stann Creek, Belize
Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: planning Belize trip

More details about the water taxi between BC and Dangriga...

The Starla water taxi departs from the San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi terminal on Fridays at 9:00 am. It stops at Dangriga at 11:00 am and arrives at Puerto Cortes at 2:30 pm.

It departs from Puerto Cortes on Mondays at 11:00 am, stops at Dangriga at 2:30 pm and arrives at BC at 4:30 pm. If it's on time, you can get the 5:30 water taxi to AC.

I think the fare is about US$25 from Dangriga to BC.

https://www.facebook.com/StarlaFerry/

Edited: 10:23 am, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Dangriga
Dangriga
Stann Creek, Belize
San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi
San Pedro Belize Express...
301 Reviews
Belize City, Belize
milano
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: planning Belize trip

Hi! At the end we book two nights in Hopkins (in almond beach resort).

For the last 3 nights we are thinking to come back in caye caluker or Amberiges Caye but I have one question..

Our flight departs from Belize city (for Miami) at 11.45 AM on 4th of sept.. do you think it's possible to stay in San pedro or cc or it's better to spend the last night near the airport?

Any suggestion?

Mentioned in this post
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,935 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: planning Belize trip

You can spend your final night on either caye

From San Pedro, you can get an early flight directly to BZE (it's about 15 minutes) or get the first water taxi and then taxi to the airport (that's about 2 hours).

Currently from CC, you can only get the water taxi to BC (and that plus a taxi to the airport will get you there in time), but by August, the runway should be open so you can fly directly to BZE.

Here are the relevant links where you can find schedules & fares...

http://www.oceanferrybelize.com

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/schedule

https://www.tropicair.com

http://www.mayaislandair.com

Edited: 12:18 pm, June 21, 2018
Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Philip S.W. Goldson Intl Airport
Philip S.W. Goldson Intl...
Belize City, Belize
milano
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: planning Belize trip

perfect! it's exactly what I hope for..

What about flight and water taxi prices? There are much differences?

Reply to: planning Belize trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted