We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations a must during the summer off-season?

El Paso, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Reservations a must during the summer off-season?

Hi there - Just bought plane tickets for two weeks in Belize during July, planning to rent a car in order to have freedom over our movement and not rely on in-country flights, shuttles or drivers. Our favorite vacations over the years have had a start and end date, but very flexible, unscheduled time in between so that we can follow our whims and desires. I love this type of travel, but it isn't always feasible. Wondering if people can offer some sage advice about the possibility of doing this in July for a family of four. Except for two nights in Belize City (on the way in and on the way out, based on flight schedules), we plan to head to the west for a little and then drive south on the Hummingbird Highway to the coast splitting our time between Placencia and possibly Punta Gorda. Initial research these days (a month before we get there) shows plenty of open hotels, resorts, lodges and Airbnb's. Will this last enough for us to make some spontaneous lodging decisions once we're in country, or will not making reservations ahead of time leave us stranded in some of the more popular spots? Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Toledo District, Belize
3 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,116 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations a must during the summer off-season?

I generally book ahead because I have specific, great value places I know will fill up if I don't and because I don't want to have to slog from place to place if my first choice options are full. You will find something in every area, I think, but arrive prepared with a list of places to try. Happy trails!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations a must during the summer off-season?

I agree with the above. I’d have a short list of places that look good, and, would check availability a couple days before arrival.

Also, some tours will have minimum numbers before they go, so, you may need to plan ahead for some of the tours.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations a must during the summer off-season?

You'll be fine in July -- no reservations necessary unless you have an eye on a particular place.

Reply to: Reservations a must during the summer off-season?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted