We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to even begin planning? Lots of questions.

Ashland City...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to even begin planning? Lots of questions.

Group of several adults thinking of going to Belize in late August for 7 nights and I know nothing about Belize so not sure where to begin planning. One of the couples just likes to hang on the beach and we like to sight see and excursions. Prefer a place on the beach to accommodate them but close enough to get to things we would like to do like Mayan ruins, cave tubing, hiking, waterfalls??

So many questions.

Where to stay? Any all-inclusive resorts?

Airport?

Rental car or not?

Crime-do's and don'ts.

Best things to do there?

People friendly and do they harass you to buy stuff which we can't stand.

Would you go back and did you like it?

Nicely kept or trashy looking?

Anything else helpful to get us started and decide if we really want to do this?

Thanks a bunch!!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,878 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to even begin planning? Lots of questions.

If you're wondering where to begin, I'd suggest getting a guide book -- many of your questions will be answered. Most libraries should have travel books.

It sounds like Ambergris Caye might be the best fit for you. Lots of accommodation & resorts (I don't know about AI).

Unfortunately, many mainland activities and the beaches are not close to each other. If you choose to stay only at a beach location, you will have long day-trips for Mayan sites, caves, hiking and most of the rest. Many visitors choose to split their stay between mainland & island. I'd say this is your first decision. Don't be influenced by someone who wants the beach only -- you do your thing because the caves and Mayan sites are worth it. You plan YOUR trip then ask who wants to come.

Only one International airport (BZE) near Belize City. Arrive there and you can continue to Ambergris by another flight or water taxi.

Several car rental companies in BC.

Crime seldom affects tourists, but always be aware and use common sense.

Best things to do there? ATM cave tour, Mayan sites: Lamanai, Xunantunich, Caracol.

Belizean are very friendly. Not a lot of harassment.

Ashland City...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to even begin planning? Lots of questions.

Thank you so much for your input and that helps get me started with my research. I have already ordered some guide books.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,509 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to even begin planning? Lots of questions.

Good advice above. We've visited 6 times and are sure to return. No matter where you stay you will see some poverty and trash around - Belize is a little rough around the edges but that is typical of Central America. The cultural and natural diversity are both amazing. To get a taste of all the best a split between mainland and beach makes sense to many 1st time visitors. If you just want a beachy place, here’s a link from an old forum thread I like with good descriptions of beachy options in Belize:

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

My photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

4. Re: Where to even begin planning? Lots of questions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 09, 2018