We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a Local or Someone who Knows Apalach and Carrabelle Help

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
259 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Can a Local or Someone who Knows Apalach and Carrabelle Help

I have been looking at the B&Bs/Hotels in the Apalach area and compared to Carrabelle there is a big price difference. Can someone tell me which area has better restaurants. We are two adults that will be visiting the middle of Sept. and are looking to stay 3 nights. We are huge foodies and love to be able to walk to restaurants. Both Apalach and Carrabelle look beautiful/peacful and we are excited to visit. My husband is also interested in playing golf at the St. George

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a Local or Someone who Knows Apalach and Carrabelle Help

Apalachicola has it all over Carabelle---great places to stay (see below) lots of neat shops, and great eating.

Carabelle is ok if you want to charter a boat or if you're heading over to Dog Island, but has little more to offer.

Apalachicola has several great places to stay--Gibson Inn, Water Street Hotel, The Consulate. And that's just for starters--see also several B&Bs there.

And you will find the best eating in Apalach--Owl Café, Caroline's, Boss Oyster, Up the Creek Raw Bar. And numerous shops--The Grady Market, River Lilly, a book store whose name escapes me and more---all in walking distance.

Plus the beaches of St. George Island are nearby--go visit the state park, and, especially at mid-week, you almost can have the beach to yourselves.

This one's a no-brainer---spend the extra money and visit Apalachicola. I doubt the price differential could even be all that great, but, for sure, you will get your money's worth in Apalachicola.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
259 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a Local or Someone who Knows Apalach and Carrabelle Help

You had me at "best eating"! Thanks, you talked me into it, we are staying in Apalach. Appreciate all the great advice and am copying all your recommendations so we can hit them all. Thank you so much Tf.

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a Local or Someone who Knows Apalach and Carrabelle Help

Apalach

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can a Local or Someone who Knows Apalach and Carrabelle Help

Apalachacola...hands down

Great restaurants, great shopping , very nice art galleries...

J M
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
963 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can a Local or Someone who Knows Apalach and Carrabelle Help

Apalach, no contest. When we are in town, we eat at Caroline's pretty much every day. Sit outside at Carolines on their enclosed dock, true peace. Grouper is prepared perfectly. We stay on St George Island at the beach and drive over to eat every day. September is a great time to go, not crowded at all just be sure of cancellation policies because of hurricane season. All of Apalach is walkable. For the northern gulf area, Apalach is the only place we have found great seafood and it keeps us coming back.

apalachicolariverinn.com/carolinesdining.html

Apalachicola Chocolate Co has truly handmade waffle cones that melt in your mouth and gelato-cash only.

Buy some Tupelo honey, only place you can get the real thing. Excellent in green tea.

The museum also enjoyable, reasonably priced boat tours.

http://www.ammfl.org/tours-trips-classes

http://www.floridatupelohoney.com/index.cfm

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can a Local or Someone who Knows Apalach and Carrabelle Help

Apalach has WONDERFUL restaurants and the best Oysters in the world! You can see a list of the area eats on this page: thecapeescape.com/Cape_San_Blas_Restaurants.…

A little beyond Apalach to the W is the Indian Pass Raw Bar! Worth a trip that direction to enjoy if you like oysters, crab legs and shrimp (and local live music on the weekend and local flavor!).

7. Re: Can a Local or Someone who Knows Apalach and Carrabelle Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Apalachicola