We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on how long to stay and weather in December

Which Apalachicola hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Question on how long to stay and weather in December

I was intending on staying in Apalachicola and visiting the off shore islands, and maybe doing some fishing. Is 4 days too long.

Also I read the temperature information on Trip Advisor, and I say that the average day time temperatures were in the low 60's did I get that wrong. Any thoughts on lodging

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on how long to stay and weather in December

Here are charts from the National Weather Service that help understand winter temperature fluctuations, not very different from, say, Houston.

www.srh.noaa.gov/tae/?n=tlh_climate_charts

If you have a boat and trailer, December should be a nice time to visit unless one of those powerful cold fronts shows up. As elsewhere on the northern Gulf coast, the vegetation will largely be in hibernation.

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on how long to stay and weather in December

It can be beautiful here in December or it can be very cold and windy especially at the end of the month. If you want to take in the area, 4 days isn't enough.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on how long to stay and weather in December

The Water Street Hotel, Coombs B & B and The Gibson Inn are all great places to stay

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
294 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on how long to stay and weather in December

Another vote for the Water Street Hotel--condos, each one with a water view. Also the old, lovingly restored Gibson Inn is a good choice---both are pet friendly.

We've never stayed at the Consulate suites above the Grady Market, but Google that too. They look intriguing and are on our list of places we want to try.

It won't be too warm in December, but since you won't be swimming, it's not bad. Definately no snow!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
53 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on how long to stay and weather in December

December is a month where you could enjoy 60s. Agree with previous posts regarding wind. If you are going for fishing, the wind "may" be a factor. I was just there for a week and nice calm days and nights.

For fishing, don't forget to check out the local guides. Eliminates the guess work on where, when (tides and time of day), and what to fish with - bait, lures, etc.

Lodging in town (Apalachicola) - Gibson, Water Street, and The Consulate. There are various rental agencies for St. George Island rentals.

Four days is not enough! Enjoy.

FL
Level Contributor
15 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on how long to stay and weather in December

We went last year in December and we loved it. We stayed 3 nights at the Consulate Suites. We loved it and wow I wish I had made reservations for this year but now they are booked up. Anyhow the weather is lovely - yes cool and sometimes windy but so nice. We went to St. George Island and also did fishing off a charted boat by the local company. We also explored Cape San Blas which was very nice - quiet.

7. Re: Question on how long to stay and weather in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 05, 2013