We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to area. But which beach to go to???? Help!

Mid-South
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New to area. But which beach to go to???? Help!

Trying to plan a family vacation to the area the week of the 4th of July. I dont' know enough about the area to be able to decide what beach to go to. Help please!

St. George Island?

Cape San Blas?

Mexico Beach?

Please, any and all info would be much appreciated. Six adults (3 couples), and 3 toddlers.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,331 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to area. But which beach to go to???? Help!

I don't have any advice, sorry, but I'm trying to get more info about the area (as is another poster who contacted me). We're not getting many responses, have you gotten any advice in some other forums? I've posted in 4 different forums and it appears that they're either they're not very active forums or people just aren't very familiar with the area. We're driving from Hilton Head to Destin and plan to stop in Tallahassee before driving along the gulf to get to Destin.

We may have to start out own support group if we can't get answers!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to area. But which beach to go to???? Help!

Sorry I cannot compare these 3, but I can tell you I loved St. George Island!!! We went in November and it was fabulous! I am sure it is more crowded in the summer. You can rent a house right on the beach or several streets (short walk) to the beach. There are several restaurants on the island and a convenience store with a good selection.

I think I read on here that Cape San Blas doesn't have lots of restaurants??? I cannot verify that, but seems I read it somewhere. Check that for accuracy.

There is a fabulous state park at the east end of St. George Island. About a 10 minute drive from St. George Island is the cute town of Apalachicola.

Hope you get someone else to tell you about the other 2 so you can compare and decide!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to area. But which beach to go to???? Help!

I grew up in Tallahassee (although I have not lived there for a while) and I prefer St. George Island. It is very family friendly and I love the food and small town feel of Apalachicola before the bridge. All 3 have beautiful beaches. The cape has better snorkeling, while I think the houses for rent are nicer on SGI. But in all honesty, I have not been to the Cape or Mexico beach for years.

SGI also has a playground close to the bridge for the kids and a bike path.

Enjoy

4. Re: New to area. But which beach to go to???? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Apalachicola