We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

We come to Florida every October for a month. Last year we did the Panhandle from

Pensacola thru the 30-A communities (my favorite) to Cape San Blas but we normally

spend the month between Clearwater and St Pete Beach. We've stayed twice on Sanibel

Island and once on Siesta Key but other than the emerald green waters of the Panhandle,

I have never seen anything as gorgeous as Anna Maria Island! We only spent the day

and spent two hours at Holmes Beach - busy but QUIET. No wave runners, jet skis, motor

boats - and floated in that clear beautiful blue/green water. The shade trees and picnic

tables at Holmes beach is really nice. Concessions and rest rooms as other have noted.

We went on down into Anna Maria Island itself and lots less people, but still shade trees and bungalows line the beach - no high rises or low rises. Where we spend our month has no high rises which is what we love. We also come down many times in May for several weeks and

are already booked for a month next October - BUT we will spend more time on Anna Maria Island. When a friend on FB wanted to know where AMI was when she saw the pictures I posted, I told her I didn't want to tell her - I wanted to keep it a secret. Ha! But I did. We didn't

get to Bean Point and sad to hear about the fire at Rod n Reel but we stayed long enough to

know we WILL be back and will spend more time on this gorgeous island! My husband still loves the feeling of being on an island at Sanibel and I do too but the water and the laid back vibe on AMI will make us return again and again. Go and experience it for yourself - gorgeous

is all I can say!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

Oh no I don't spend a month on Anna Maria Island - would that be paradise or what??? But after just

a day trip there do hope to spend a few days there at least. Gorgeous!

United States
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

TnCatLover, I should probably private message you, but others may wonder about my question to you about the bacteria publicity. Yes, the media does exploit things when they can, but our local news did have a big story about a local man who recently contracted the flesh eating virus at Madeira Beach. I guess it wasn't big news there, but was played up here.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

I went thru the papers but couldn't find the article with the picture. From what the article said this is so

rare - having the bacteria get into an open wound - and it causing a death. They interviewed several

doctors about it and about the chances of it happening. It was on the news and as I said in the paper

but I think they were very thorough in saying there has been no increase in such a thing happening over

the past decade. We've been down here for 13 years and have never even heard of it before. First off it

only happens if you have an open wound and IF the bacteria gets into it - both of which seem to be extremely rare. They said usually treatment with antibiotics clears it up quickly. I think the couple lived near Clearwater or around Safety Harbor. It is nothing anyone down here is overly concerned about -

we take our chances going into the ocean whether it is jelly fish, sharks or stingrays. I saw stingrays

up in the Panhandle and they just swam away. Red tide can be a problem at times in parts of the ocean. It is just one more thing to be aware of but you must also realize how low the chances are of each one.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
29 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

doughnut-60 I found the article about the Vibrio virus. Here's the link:

floridatoday.com/viewart/…310120011

Hope this helps somewhat. It sounds as if eating raw oysters is still the major

cause of this virus but Florida state officials are watching it closely.

Edited: 7:57 am, October 17, 2013
United States
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

That's not the same man, but probably same situation. Last I heard the man was in Tampa in an induced coma. He had been sitting with his feet only in the water. I'm sure it is rare, even when the news media plays it up as a big deal.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

Thanks for sharing the vibrio article. This is only the 2nd time I've ever heard of this and both occurrences are this year. The other was here in The Bahamas, apparently a diver contracted it through mosquito bite 'wounds' on his legs.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

Truecatlover, Do you think Clearwater beach or st. Pete's beach would be a good first time visit with our teenagers to the Florida beaches or should we go to Destin?

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

Just wanted to chime in and say I LOVE Apalachicola. One of my favorite little places ever...

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

Can we get some gorgeous photos of gorgeous Anna Maria Island on here too...?!? Just to be able to admire it in the fullest?!? lol & thnx :)

30. Re: No Question - Just to say how gorgeous Anna Maria Island is!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria