We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

Just spent a week on AMI. It was our first visit and we had a great time. But the dining scene was meh. It was so low point of the trip. none of what we had was memorable.

Ate at Sandbar, Tortilla Bay, Hurricane Hanks, Eat Here and Dry Dock Waterfront Grill (on Longboat Key).

Where did we go wrong? We don't need fancy, just good, fresh food.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

Did you ask here before you went? Sandbar is known for good frozen drinks and the view. The next two are tucked inside a couple of small shopping plazas, and again are not known for great food. Dry Dock we like for lunch.

Did you try Rood and Reel, City Pier, The Waterfront, Duffy's, Gulf Drive Cafe, Rotten Ralph's, Island Time, Bridgetender? All of these are casual, good food.

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
239 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

We have been on AMI for the last week and it's been heavenly including the food. Don't know what you are looking for but you did go to a couple of our regular places - Tortillla Bay and eat here. We had a wonderful meal at eat here and had the usual fresh Tex Mex at Tortilla Bay. Sandbar, in my opinion, is way overrated. Would only go there for a drink and sunset, not the food. Still need to go to Rod & Reel and Starfish. You can't get much fresher than eating grouper on the dock. Last night we tried Island Spice, the newer Indian place in Bradenton Beach. It was really very good. We tend to be ethnic food snobs but the food was excellent - the ambience not so much. Nobody else in the place when we were there so I hope it survives. Blue Marlin is also on our list to try and we always liked the Sunhouse so we would like to try Bridge Street Bistro. Only a few more days left so time for the beach!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

Rod and Reel, Beach Front Bistro and Moore's on Longboat Key...That's going to be our lineup for our upcoming long weekend on AMI.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

I agree that Bridge Street Bistro and Blue Marlin are excellent, but may have been a bit higher priced than OP wanted. There are so many fantastic restaurants on the island, I can't understand why anyone would not find what they want. When we head out to eat, we head for the island. No chains for us.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

I'd skip Moores on Longboat but definitely like Mar Vista. Terrific food on Longboat at Harry's, Euphemia Haye, Pattigeorge's; those three are pricey but their food is outstanding (plus a great view at Pattigeorge's).

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

Three of our favorites are in Cortez: Seafood Shack, Starfish Co, and Cortez Kitchen. We also love Rod n Reel and Bridge Street Bistro.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

must say i agree w/ rod n reel...love that fish sandwich! fun fishing. cold beer

cortez kitchen...we enjoyed....

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,922 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

I love Rod and Reel. First place I ever ate on AMI.

Last time I was at Sandbar, the food was fine, and drinks good. but the serivce was poor. but then I usually eat here for lunch not dinner so dont go fancy.

United States
Level Contributor
6,490 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

Sorry you picked some less than good places to eat. We have spent a lot of time on AMI and can say we have only had one bad meal there. That was at Peaches, and every other time we ate there, it was good, so taking that as a fluke.

I can also say, of your choices, the only one we have been to, is Sandbar. And we enjoyed the meal there!

AMI has a lot of good restaurants. If you go back there, try some of the places suggested above by people. Food and the choices, are great on AMI !!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help ... Where are the good restaurants?

I would be remiss if I didn't add Umo's meatball pizza