We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Casselberry, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Concern about tropical storm Debby?

My family and I were supposed to be heading to Anna Maria for the weekend as a short, sweet vacation. But as we were seeing the weather we were concerned about all the floodings and such, that if it would affect our first time experience. I look at the weather and it seems to be sunny but than again, from the storm there could be seaweed and such on the shore which would ruin the whole experience. Should we cancel or go?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,282 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

On manasota key today, I did see one turtle's nest still there. And for the first time EVER (having said that, I don't often come during hurricane season), saw lots of live shells close to shore. Even some huge abalone type.

The beach was not washed away, but there are sandbars now where once there were none. Everything was a bit topsy turvy. But was hot and sunny. So half the day was spent painting my pool deck/cutting my hedges, the other at the beach and lunch lol.

The only clouds I saw today were just at sunset of course ;-(

On a good note, yesterday evening at the baseball was lovely for this time of year as it is normally hotter and much more humid.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Thank you!

we will arrive on Bradenton Eeach on August 4th for 2 weeks and have been watching the weather on AMI on CNN from London UK and have been quite worried, I should have realised that I could find my answers on theTA forums

I 'm not so worried now but I have a question about mosquitos, is there a problem

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Forgot to say I will be bring with me a tee shirt which says (on the front) 'Anna Maria is celebrating her 60th birthday (on back) on Anna Maria Island 12th August 2012

Cant wail!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Happy Birthday! Perfect place to celebrate. Mossies are a problem along the bay, but generally not along the Gulf, as the sea breeze keeps them at bay. We did have some trouble around the pool area near the Gulf, but citronella candles kept them away.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Thanks for your reply, we will be staying in a little house on the beach on Gulf Drive and I have a problem with mossies, but perhaps I'll be ok if I pack some candles.It's a long way to come (London) to get bitten!

Wheris the Bay, is it the other side of the island, where's the pool?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Yes, the bay is the eastern side of the island. The Gulf is the western. When we last stayed on the island we had a cottage with a private pool area, just one house off the beach. The mosquitos were there, especially at dusk and dawn.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

So I guess I'll need protection, when I get bites they go egg size, so thanks.

I can't wait, I have been counting the days (9 now). For this birthday I wanted to go somewhere where no one I knew has been and of course I'm its namesake!

18. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria