We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which part of the island is best to stay at?

Tuscumbia, AL
7 posts
Save Topic
Which part of the island is best to stay at?

Which part of the island is the best place to stay? We like to bike ride and search for shells, as well as play in the water. Is one part of the island busier than other parts?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which part of the island is best to stay at?

There are 3 cities on the island, if you can really call them that. Starting from the northend is Anna Maria, then Holmes Beach, then Bradenton Beach at the southern end. They get progressivly busier as you go south. Really once about halfway thru Holmes Beach as you head north, there is nothing but homes and small cottage type hotels. Free trolly runs up and down about every 15 mins, which is fantastic - can carry 2 bikes too. Bradenton Beach is kinda classic beach, shell, beach, ice cream type shops. Write to the chamber of commerce and they send all kinds of stuff. I think its annamariachamber of commerce. Nothing on the island is over 36 feet except two buildings that were built before they outlawed that. In Holmes Beach people have golf carts they drive around in, pretty cool.

My pick is to stay north of the Holmes Beach shopping area. I think it is anything bigger than 40th st.

Newton, MA
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which part of the island is best to stay at?

We loved Holmes Beach... we could walk or take free trolley to shops and restaurants... drive to bigger places...and just sit on the beach nad search for shells... (we got some amazing ones!) and swim in the beautiful water!

Tuscumbia, AL
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which part of the island is best to stay at?

Thanks for your help!