We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Tampa Airport

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Tampa Airport

How long is it likely to take from AMI to Tampa Airport on a Tuesday in October for a 10.13am flight?

Google maps suggests it takes an hour and 10 minutes but just wondered how the traffic in the mornings may effect this.

We will probably leave 7.15-7.30am from AMI but would like advice as to time normally taken on this route. Thanks

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Tampa Airport

For that departure time you will have to be at the airport by 8 am in which case you're likely to meet morning rush hour traffic whichever of the two routes you take - either over the Sunshine Skyway bridge or via I-75, I-4, I-275. So I think you should leave by 6:30 am.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Tampa Airport

Thanks, so glad I asked.

We are flying domestically (to Newark) - do we still need to be there 2+ hours before?

Thanks

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Tampa Airport

If you are connecting to an international flight and checking your luggage all the way to your final international destination from Tampa, then your first leg from Tampa to Newark will be considered part of the international flight and require 2 hour advance check-in.

Edited: 6:30 pm, May 19, 2011
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Tampa Airport

We are going to New York for a few days so we are not connecting.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Tampa Airport

The departure time is really at a bad time. The later you leave AMI past 7 am for the airport the more likely you'll run into the rush hour traffic going into Tampa.

If you can spend the night at an airport hotel that would help.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Tampa Airport

I have a traffic question as well-we are supposed to arrive at 4:25 pm on a Wednesday in June. Would we be better off to eat leisurely dinner in the airport to wait for afternoon rush hour to be over instead of just heading off to island? What time does rush hour quiet down?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Tampa Airport

HI Chuts, will try to see if we can change our dates at our villa, otherwise we will just head off very early. Thanks for your advice.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Tampa Airport

scottibb, yes, have dinner over at the International Plaza (or in the airport if you prefer) - a mall very near the airport. There will still be plenty of daylight for the drive to AMI.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Tampa Airport

scottibb, I think it depends what your priority is. If it is to get to AMI at the earliest time possible, then head straight there. Yes, there will be heavier traffic, but it will put you on the island at an earlier time than if you spent time eating near the airport.

If the priority is to have the thinnest traffic, then eat near the airport first ,as the worst of rush hour is over around 6:30 or so. You will still have heavy traffic, but a little less than during the peak of rush hour.

Traffic will be there no matter what time you start off. I would head to the island and get the vacation started !!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Tampa Airport

Well, Continental have changed the flights (again) to 11:55 so that will allow us a later start. Just have to drop the car at the airport and then catch flight up to Newark. Thinking that if we left around 8am that should be enough time?