We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMI a destination with a bad attitude

Michigan
Level Contributor
331 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
AMI a destination with a bad attitude

I vacation in Florida frequently. I love Florida. I visited Anna Maria Island for the first time in February to find a rental for a group of 10 who would vacation in April.

My first impression was a little disappointed. Most of the restaurants seemed small and dingy. The beaches were beautiful and that's where we spent most of our time so I thought I was just a little too fussy.

When we arrived in April with the group of ten we were happy with our rental home. It had a beautiful pool and and lots of room to spread out.

As the week progressed we started to notice how unfriendly a lot of the people in the area were. First, at mass, the priest made a comment about our arrival being late even though we arrived right at noon. Then we listened to a list of rules that anyone who attends mass would already know. I thought to myself "that was a little strange"

Then one night we went to Mr. Bones for dinner. The lady who took our name was harried and crabby. When we checked a half hour later to see how much longer our table would be she said "I don't know". I didn't think much of it at the time until a few nights later when I got the same response at Rod and Reel Pier. I told the man taking names that I was surprised how rude the people on this island were. Then I watched him tell a little boy who asked the same question that he hadn't been waiting that long and next time send an adult up.

My friends rode the trolley the next day and commented that two different drivers were honking their horns and yelling at people. It got to be a joke with us.

We finally went to a grocery store and decided to cook our own food the rest of the week. I guess we don't need to spend our money is this place.

I don't know what is going on around that place. We had a great time with our friends and the beaches are beautiful but I will pick somewhere else to vacation next time.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,011 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: AMI a destination with a bad attitude

Why not give us a full trip report?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: AMI a destination with a bad attitude

We're getting ready to make our 3rd trip to AMI in four years. Having been _many_ different places in Florida and the Atlantic coast, it is by far our favorite. We love the combination of great beaches that aren't too crowded, a decent number of things to do within reasonable driving distance, and a laid-back attitude.

Yes, some of the restaurants look a little run down. Some of them _are_ run down. Mr. Bones is, in my humble opinion, a travesty. I'll put up with a lot for good food, but what they're serving isn't real barbecue and the "fried rice" is horrible. On the other hand, there are some great little finds in the area. I am still jonesing for Sign of the Mermaid's pies. My wife drools when she mentions Moore's Stone Crab.

Sadly, life is about trade-offs. If you want four-star restaurants a-plenty, go to Miami and deal with the crowds, the prices, and the attitude. I've done it before and I'll do it again, because I like the good things about Miami enough to deal with the things I don't like. When I want to relax, though, I go to AMI and I resign myself to not having real barbecue, high-end gourmet, and giant shopping centers. For my money, it's well worth it.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: AMI a destination with a bad attitude

A tip, for real barbeque there is a stand in front of the Chop Shop on Manatee Ave. West. DH says it is excellent. A slab of ribs for about $12. It is only a few miles off the island. I know he's there at least Thurs to Sun, at least during lunch/early afternoon hours.

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: AMI a destination with a bad attitude

A few months ago I got a few friends together and we had a barbecue rib tasting event. We had about 10 people taste test and we all ranked the 5 places we bought barbecue ribs from - the results... (drum roll) #1 being the best.

#1 - The Feast in Holmes Beach

#2 - Basils in Bradenton just off Manatee Avenue

#3 - Hurricane Hanks in Holmes Beach

#4 - Eat Here in Holmes Beach

#5 - Mr Bones in Holmes Beach

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,011 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: AMI a destination with a bad attitude

Let's make a new BBQ thread. All this stuff you guys are giving us is great.

But bringing up this old complaining thread isn't doing AMI much good really. Not that I have any financial interest in keeping AMI going, I just kinda like it ;-)

Columbus,Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: AMI a destination with a bad attitude

My family and I love Anna Maria.

Your story reminds me of one told by Dr. Wayne Dyer:

He has a home in Florida and was walking on the beach one day. Someone recognized him and said, "Dr. Dyer, I'm thinking of moving down here. Are the people friendly?"

He answered, "Well, what are the people like back home?"

The person answered, "They're mean, unfriendly, and self-centered."

Dr. Dyer said, "I think that you'll find the people here are just the same.""

The next week he was again walking on the beach and once again was recognized. The person asked, "Dr. Dyer, I'm thinking of moving down here. Are the people friendly?"

He answered, "Well, what are the people like back home?"

The person said, "They're warm, caring, and very friendly."

Dr. Dyer said, "I think that you'll find the people here are just the same."

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: AMI a destination with a bad attitude

Good point. You get what you give. For the most part the Island is giving, caring, friendly, warm. At times, there are those who do not get it! We need to forgive them and move on.

48. Re: AMI a destination with a bad attitude

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 26, 2012