We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf courses

montreal
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Golf courses

How long of a drive is it to golf courses? Is there golf courses on the island?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf courses

I believe the only course on the island is private. There is a public course about 4 miles or so from the island off Rt. 53 near 66th street west. Therera re plenty of other courses around, both public and private, but that would be the closest public course.

Derby
Level Contributor
216 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf courses

Hi, there is only one course on the island, Key Royale, and that's private, as Kris says, but the nearest course Kris has given you the directions to, is Manantee County Golf Course and that's only about 4 or 5 miles off the island. My husband and I have played at most of the courses in the area, so private message me if you want any more specific information. The best golf courses in the area are centered around the junction of SR64 and the Interstate 75, which takes about a 30 to 45 minute drive depending on the time of day, and these are:-

1. River Strand, 27 holes and my husband's favourite course.

2. Waterlefe, not for the faint hearted, a difficult course with water on each hole, but a beautiful course, some of the holes are so pretty on the banks of the Manatee river

3. Stoneybrook at Heritage Harbour, another good course

4. Greenfield Plantation, a very good course, rather tight in places, you need to be straight here!

Hope this helps,

Sally

montreal
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf courses

Thanks Sally,

Great info

John.

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf courses

Yes, the Key Royale Club is private however from May until Nov 1st each year you are not required to play with a member. All you need is a member to fill out an approval slip to allow you to play. During the "peak" season you need a member to play in your foursome. Of course there are green fees for playing and it varies based on time of year. So, if you come to AMI often enough perhaps one of your friends is a member or sign up for a membership yourself. If you need additional information let me know.

Nashville, Tennessee
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf courses

My wife & I go down to Anna Maria Island three times a year for 9 days each trip. I usually play golf about three or four times each time I go down. I purchase a "Big Summer Golf Card" for about $53.00 every year. It has discount prices for almost every golf course in the area with unlimited play. It has got so popular that they have extended the deals beyond the May to October deadlines. Here is the web site so you can check it out "http://www.bigsummergolf.com/". I know they have an 1-800 phone number & you can probably still purchase this years book. It is well worth it even if you use it for a weeks worth of golfing.

The courses the others have mentioned are good courses. Here are a couple of more I have played with the Card. University Park Country Club, IMG Academies Golf & Country Club, Legacy Golf Club, Rosedale Country Club & The River Club in Bradenton. In Sarasota I played Palm-Aire Country Club & down in Venice I played Venetian Country Club & Sarsota National Golf Club. You can visit the web site & they have the prices with their discount & without for all the courses plus all kinds of information about each course. This time of year is the most expensive time to play golf down there so any discounts are very nice.

I hope this helps a little more,

"Semi-Pro"

Edited: 11:13 am, December 21, 2010
Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf courses

Been to AMI for last 6 years and we go to play golf. AMI is a great place to combine both the beach etc with golfing.

I agree with Derbylady as to the courses to play. Waterlefe is tough if you have not got your A game. Greenfield Plantation ( near Waterlefe) is good value and both Stoneybrook anf Heritage Harbour courses are good. Probably the best courses in the area are Legacy and Univesity park. We have had Big Summer Golf Card but find the breakeven point for it being worthwhile is around 8 rounds of golf with pm tee times. Travelling time is around 45mins to 1 hour depending on trafiic. We tend to have an hour or so on the beach in the morning then go and play arounf 12.30 tee time which gets us back to change have a swim and watch the sunset before dinner. Did I say made in heaven holiday!

Edited: 5:33 am, January 13, 2011
Leeds
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf courses

I would agree with many of the comments already made but waterlefe is my favourite as the staff are so friendly. I bought a big summer golf card last year but I found better deals on Teeoffsarasota.com

8. Re: Golf courses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 15, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria