We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida First Timers

4 posts
Save Topic
Florida First Timers

Hi,my husband and I have a whole 4 weeks to spend in Florida-15th Jan-12Feb.We are flying into Miami enroute to Chile to visit our daughter.Ideally we would like to split our time between two locations with a view to doing some research into buying a holiday home.We do not want primarily a house hunting expedition,but rather a taste of what florida could offer.Should we opt to spend two weeks on opposite coasts?One thing we don't want to spend all our time in the car or have too long a drive to miami airport at the end of our stay.Should we opt for self catering or would we be better in a hotel?thoughts appreciated

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida First Timers

if looking for sound investment look at Anna Maria Island north of Sarasota. Prices have rocketed over the past few yrs and look as if still going up significantly. Also a lovely place - real old Florida - no high rise, no chain restaurants and friendly locals.

Southwest Florida
Level Contributor
206 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida First Timers

I think it is wise to consider what you are going to do with your investment. If it is to be a rental, then go where there are rental programs and demand - or conversely where there is not much rental and increasing demand.

If you are predominately using it, then you need good/decent air access.

The good news - flying around florida is easy on Southwest or USAir and rental car companies do not charge drop off fees.

Of course - Price range does matter!

For me to give you a flavor:

East Coast:

Miami Beach and I'd focus on the corridor between North Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale versus SoBe. lots to do, lots of choices of housing, strong annual and resort demand. Very easy to get to. Bad traffic and "condo canyon like" at least in some areas.

North of Ft. Lauderdale towards Jensen Beach and St. Augustine: Pretty beach, good housing options, harder to get to from UK. Not much going on in some places.

West Coast:

Naples, Ft. Myers beach, Sanibel, Venice, Englewood beach

Quieter, more touristy, a little harder to get to, decent values. Not a lot of entertainment or cultural choices.

Sarasota, Anna Maria, St. Pete -

Good mix of housing options. More "old florida" especially Anna Maria. Close to restuarants and cultural activites. Nightlife lacking. Ok, not great, connections to UK.

North of Tampa: (Tarpon Springs, etc.)

Natural beauty, quiet, fairly easy to get to, rising values but tourist demand not as high as other places.

Great beaches, good housing options, harder to get to from outside US. Hurricane prone.

Just some ideas to get you started.

see you at the beach (hopefully)

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria