We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A HUGE thank you!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
A HUGE thank you!!!!

I have just returned from my trip to Florida which included a week in AMI - I loved it and can't wait to return!!

I just want to say a huge thanks to all the people on this forum who offered me advice before my trip - everywhere that was suggested was absolutely brilliant!

We stayed at The Beach Club (Resortquest) on Bradenton beach and it was fantastic - it was completely refurbished last year - it is very contemporary inside with everything you could possibly need.

The beaches are to die for............ the sand is like baby powder and the sea water was like getting into a warm bath!

We ate at the Beachhouse/Sandbar/Rod'n'Reel - all were very good. I loved the key lime pie at the Sandbar. The coffee and sandwiches at Ginny and Janes were so good - tuna was the best. The best milkshake goes to the Gulf Drive cafe.

The ice cream sundaes at Joes are the best - thank you to all who told me about it!!

We rented a jetski near the gulf drive cafe for an hour - it was really scarey but good.

We rented fishing rods at Rod'n'Reel pier and actually caught 4 angel fish - we were very impressed as it was our first time.

St Armands Circle - a brilliant place to shop and have lunch. We had rice pudding from a shop that sold 21 flavours - scrummy!

The people who live and work in AMI are so friendly - we chatted to many locals, and got lots of help/directions and just general chatter from people who are never in a rush - what a lovely place.

Thanks again everyone!!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A HUGE thank you!!!!

Sunshine, I knew you would love it and it sounds like you did all the right things but left a few for your next visit. Rod & Reel Pier is one of my favorite places to go, it is so "Old Florida" and you can always find someone catching fish there.

I noticed that you also visited Key West, I know it is completely different but was one your favorite?

Thanks for letting us know what a great time you had.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A HUGE thank you!!!!

Sunshine,

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful trip report!

Sincerely,

Jkelly

UK
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A HUGE thank you!!!!

Rustykat

I loved both KW and AMI!! I really liked the buzz in KW and being able to just wander about and soak up the atmosphere. The hotel there was exceptional and that really made it special.

But.........I prefered AMI for totally relaxing and the fantastic beaches. If I was to choose one place to unwind sunbathe, read books and enjoy good food it would have to be AMI!!

We also had a lovely meal at the 3rd restaurant owned by the Sandbar/Beachhouse people - on the bayside - can't remember the name but it was excellent also.

One very good reason to come back would be to have another portion of the coconut/pineapple bread at the Beachhouse - it was beautiful. When I told the waitress she gave me a box with 2 loaves in it to take back to the condo - how nice was that???

Oh I really do need to come back.........soon!

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A HUGE thank you!!!!

Sunshine - I have never had that bread at the Beachhouse...I will definately get it the next time we go, thanks.

See, we only live about an hour away from AMI and I find it so hard to go anywhere else. Last December we took the ferry from Ft Myers and visited Key West for a few days and the whole time I am thinking "I'd rather be at Anna Maria Island".

I do like the panhandle too, especially Mexico Beach and Cape San Blas, the beaches there are just beautiful with baby powder sand and deep blue water but why drive hours when we have AMI so close?

Have a great summer and hurry back!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A HUGE thank you!!!!

Sunshine

so, someone else that has fallen for AMI !!

Don`t tell too many people about it - still a bit of a secret.

Glad you enjoyed your time there. I`m always a little worried when suggesting AMI to people because it wouldn`t be everyones cup of tea, so getting good feedback is great.

The third restaurant on the bay side was probably Mar Vista ??

Reading trip reports like yours makes me look forward more than ever to going back ( October is still a long way off ).

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A HUGE thank you!!!!

Steveoxuk - I could not agree with you more, as much as I love AMI I dont think it is for everyone. If you are into a lot of night life, upscale dining choices and shopping I dont think it would be for you. That's OK, leave it all for us to enjoy!

I do believe you are right it was the MarVista which is excellent!

UK
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A HUGE thank you!!!!

Hi everyone

Thanks for all the comments!

The 3rd place was Mar Vista and it was great. My hubbie had a starter there that was really good - scallops wrapped in crispy bacon with a plum and ginger sauce. He said they were the best thing about AMI!!!

Been reading about the Mermaid place so will def need to return to try it!

Can't wait to return.

UK
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A HUGE thank you!!!!

I just remembered somewhere else that we had dinner - Mr Bones - the food was nice but what a strange place!! It was the only place in our 2 week holiday that we did not feel very welcome - we arrived at 8.05pm and they did not mention that they were closing at 8.45pm - I felt they just wanted rid of us. Is it normally a good place to visit - were we just unlucky?

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A HUGE thank you!!!!

Sunshine - Mr. Bones is a very unique place, I have always loved their ribs and sides but it does get mixed reviews. I'm not sure why, it's like that with Omas Pizza, vistor seem to either love or hate it. We get take out at Mr. Bones and take it down to the beach to eat sometimes, cant go wrong there!

10. Re: A HUGE thank you!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 02, 2009