We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit report

Leeds
Level Contributor
66 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Visit report

Just returned from our 3rd holiday on AMI and yet again had a wonderful time. We visted the Sign of the Mermaid restarant for the first time, as this was recommended by several people we met.It certainly lived up to expectations and we can honestly say this was the best meal we have had anywhere (not just on the island). The desserts are to die for. The place itself is quirky and definately differently from anywhere else on the island.

We are already planning are next vacation there to enjoy the beaches, shopping (don,t miss the egret and sand dollar shops, friendly islanders and the lovely laid back atmosphere.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visit report

gigi, I feel the same way you do about the forum, it is a way to keep in touch with the island.

When we go to the Sign of the Mermaid, I wear a nicer blouse,capri pants with sandals and my husband wears like kaki shorts and a golf shirt with dockers and we feel "dressed up". It's Florida, I have seen everything there from evening wear to cover-ups and flip flops. I think it is whatever makes you comfortable and happy as long as you have "shirt & shoes".

I love the Sanbar for the atmosphere, I have never been crazy about the food or the service but it is all worth it with the location. Sign of the Mermaid is definately for people who have food in mind rather than a view. It is so tasty, I have never had a bad meal there and I sure cant say that about the Sandbar. They dont have as many appetizers as the Sandbar, it is more on the entree level and prices are around 15 to 18 dollars an entree. It is well worth it.

Leeds
Level Contributor
66 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visit report

I agree the Sandbar is great to have a drink and watch the Sunset but if you want seriously good food the mermaid beats the Sandbar hands down.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visit report

We liked it a lot, but it's not great for smaller children (under 10). We took our 4-year-old, and the pace was just too slow for her. On our next trip we plan to dine somewhere else and then order the entire Sign of the Mermaid dessert menu to go!

14. Re: Visit report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 28, 2009