We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelling in November on the Beach???

kansas city
2 posts
Save Topic
Shelling in November on the Beach???

I realize that not much compares to the shelling on Sanibel, but we are planning to come to AMI in mid-November and the kids love to look for shells? Are there any on the north end of AMI?

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelling in November on the Beach???

If you have never been to AMI, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, I personally like it better than Sanibel although you are right that the shelling is not as good. You should be able to find shells on all the beaches but the north end may be the best choice, less people on the beach.

kansas city
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelling in November on the Beach???

Thanks RustyKat! You seem to be the expert on AMI!!! I also sent you a personal note asking about bike rentals on the island and somewhere I read about the red drift algea in the area...is this going on? Depending on the things you read, some people swear by wonderful shells and many sand dollars, others say that you will only find tiny common shells. It seems that you are the one to ask! Thank you for taking your time to help those of us that are clueless!

mi
Level Contributor
350 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelling in November on the Beach???

The north end of the island is not the best spot for shelling IMO.

The main thing you need to know about shelling on AMI is to know the tides. (Go before low tide because the best will be picked over if you treasure your sleep .. tide charts are in most local newspapers)

You have a few options for shelling on AMI:

1. park at the pier near Alamand and North Shore and walk counter clockwise around the tip of the island. It is a very short walk and shelling is sporadic. Lots of starfish in this area.

2. park near the gulf front park at gulf blvd and palm ave. This is the best area, especially during low tide when the sandbar extends the beach area out into the gulf a few hundred yards on a good day.

3. head over to egmont key just off shore and pick shells until you can't carry anymore.

AMI is comparable if not better than Sanibel for shells.

Enjoy.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelling in November on the Beach???

I would say that it is , lik ethe other poster said, best to be on the beach soon! Right before low tide and if this is somewhere around dawn it would be perfect!

My favorite place to look for shells is the southern part... (actually it is the Northern Part of Lonboat Key...

Go over the bridge to Longboat and park. Go to the beach and make a right...

You will find a nice and lonly beach (ok, NOT on weekends) and a little forest with lots of raccoons and herons.

By the way... If you like snakes, then it will be the best for you to stop at the right site of gulf drive during your trip back...

Right after you crossed the bridge back to Anna Maria you will see a little hill (REALLY little sand hill). There is a little walk way and there are a lot of snakes in the morning, catching some sun...

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelling in November on the Beach???

my kids bring back buckets full of shells every time we go.

You tend to find a band of shells along the beach near the waters edge, in some places several inches deep. Mainly small common shells but plenty of larger more colourful ones too.

Columbus
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shelling in November on the Beach???

SHelling? Try Don Pedro Island. Awesome shelling there. Private island with NO daytrippers, great accommodations and amazing wildlife. With no daytrippers, you are often the first/only one on the beach searching for shells. We always get amazing GIANT shells, conch, etc.

7. Re: Shelling in November on the Beach???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, September 13, 2009