We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Snowmass for an Aspen vacation in the Summer?

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Snowmass for an Aspen vacation in the Summer?

My husband and i are leaving the kids with Grandma and taking a trip to Aspen this July. Neither of us have been to the area. We are interested in active things during the day (hiking, biking, rafting, etc) and in the evenings nice dinners, music festival, theater. Would it be too much driving to stay in Snowmass at the Viceroy and drive to Aspen and surrounding area for these things? We don't mind some driving, but don't love the idea of being back and forth all the time. It is about $1000 cheaper to stay at the Viceroy compared to 5 star hotels in Aspen (St Regis or The Gant). We are also considering the Limelight in Aspen but it doesn't have a spa for massage which would be nice.

Any opinions are helpful! Thanks!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Snowmass for an Aspen vacation in the Summer?

Snowmass is fine if you don't mind the drive and you want to save unless you leave at 8-9 in the morning then you'll have a traffic nightmare going into town. A better option would be to take the shuttle bus. They use HOV lanes. Also will help with parking. Not good. You'll need to park in the Rio Grande lot on N Mill St. Aspen is a very busy place in July.

Aspen is not that big. You can save $$ by not staying in 5* hotel. Look at Limelight. Just down the street from St. Regis and their spa. Better than Viceroy IMO. Stay where the action is unless you want dead quiet.

http://www.aspenchamber.org

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Snowmass for an Aspen vacation in the Summer?

Limelight- great choice, great location, walk to everything, you can treat yourself to spa at St Regis if you want to go big. It is very close but there are several other spas as well. Truly in heart of Aspen. I am not a fancy person and prefer informal style thus Limelight would be my choice over 5*. Many biking options- road bike to Glenwood if you want (40 miles) and take the bus back or back and forth to Woody Creek for lunch.

Gant- on the edge of town, walking distance to Aspen Club Spa. Shuttle system around town.

Viceroy- Nice hotel, free bus between SV and Aspen runs frequently. Aspen has bike share so you could do short term rental for music festival or touring the amazing homes. There is good road biking along Brush Creek trail or Owl Creek trail. Mountain biking on SV is well developed and has some great trails, you can take gondola up to mainly downhill if desired but need some MTB skills. There is disc golf on mountain. There are great Thursday night free concerts just uphill of Viceroy. SV also has free buses around the village.

You can book rafting from either (Blazing Paddles or other). There are good hikes from either Aspen or SV but remember that hikes around here are usually all up or down.

Aspen, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Snowmass for an Aspen vacation in the Summer?

Jellybean,

I have only stayed at one place during my trip to Aspen so my reply might not be as detailed as some of the others. If you want to stay at a very nice place that is close to everything I would try http://www.myaspenrental.com/ It is a little pricy but if you bring a few other people the price really isn't that bad. Especially since they have 5 bedrooms. Hope this helps!

Edited: 6:31 pm, April 21, 2015
Burleson, Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Snowmass for an Aspen vacation in the Summer?

I agree with texranger. We stayed in Snowmass at the Stonebridge Inn and traveled back and forth to Aspen a couple times. The distance isn't that bad, it's the traffic! I am not sure what the deal is, but the bottle neck into Aspen is terrible. I guess it depends on the time of day though. We were trying to go through during morning 'rush hour' times. And yes, while stuck in traffic we kept seeing the shuttles zip past us in the open HOV bus lane. We're going again this August and we'll either do the bus or travel at different times.

5. Re: Staying in Snowmass for an Aspen vacation in the Summer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 25, 2016