We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells without a car

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells without a car

I'm visiting Colorado in July and I would like to visit Maroon Bells without a car. I'll be arriving in Glenwood Springs on the Greyhound, then I plan to stay a night before going to Aspen. All I found is that RFTA goes to Aspen but I don't know how exactly to get to Maroon Bells after that.

Also, how difficult is the Maroon Lake Scenic Trail? How does it compare to the Mist Trail in Yosemite? I have a fear of heights, so I don't like to walk around on high ridges.

I'm planning to start from Glenwood around 7:00 AM and would like to return to Glenwood Springs by 2:20 PM, if at all possible. Unfortunately, RFTA has a complicated website that I cannot understand.

Thank you for your replies.

USA
Level Contributor
967 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells without a car

I ***think**** (not positive), but I think the Maroon Bells bus only charges for going up the hill; not down.....meaning it would be $6 total.

USA
Level Contributor
967 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells without a car

Maroon Bells scenic trail around the lake is easy, no fear of heights issues. It's a beautiful and special place. It will be worth your effort getting there!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells without a car

$7 on the BRT or RFTA (same price) from Glenwood Springs to Aspen is a very fair price. It's a 40 mile trip. And make sure you have exact amount. Post back when you're done. Want to know if you actually made all your connections. It's a tight schedule.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,046 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells without a car

The Maroon Bells bus fee is round-trip - they weren't even checking for a ticket on the return. Also, I'm pretty sure there was a senior discount, if that applies.

USA
Level Contributor
967 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells without a car

I think the reason they weren't checking for a ticket on return is the return is free. They only charge for the ride up. That's what a bus driver told me. For ex, we hiked up and they drove us down, no problem. Or hiking over from Crested Butte.

USA
Level Contributor
967 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells without a car

John W: I hope you report back on your trip. Would love to hear about it.

27. Re: Glenwood Springs to Maroon Bells without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, July 30, 2015