We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

Yardley...
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

I am off for a few days to Gateway Canyon Resort with my husband & daughter (10 YO)in July. We are flying in from the East coast and would appreciate recommendations how to spend 3-4 extra days out that way to maximize our trip. So far I'm thinking Aspen for additional outdoor activities? We're flying into Grand Junction & could fly out of a different location.We will have a rental car & would appreciate recommendations ! Thanks so much !

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,852 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

I would head down to Durango, Cortez, Telluride, Ouray for the rest of your trip. Visit Mesa Verde NP, take the train from Durango to Silverton, raft trips, jeep tours and hot springs too. You could fly to Denver or drive on to Abq for flights home.

Mentioned in this post
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Cortez
Cortez
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Silverton
Silverton
Colorado
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

Wow, Gateway Canyon is spectacular. You will have a very wonderful, luxurious stay. I agree that I would then head south as suggested. Nice and cool in the summer with great vistas. The Ouray area is called the Little Switzerland of the USA. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

Aspen is a great place to come in the summer! There is tons of hiking and biking that kid-appropriate. We are about 2 hours from Grand Junction and it's a beautiful drive. There is also rafting, horseback riding and jeep tours. If you like music, the Aspen Music Festival is a must see. They have concerts almost every day and many you ca enjoy on the lawn with a picnic vs. sitting inside the music tent.

As for flights, you can drive back to Grand Junction, drive to Denver (about 3.5 hours via Independence Pass) which has direct flights to a lot of cities on the East Coast or fly from Aspen.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Independence Pass
Independence Pass
1,378 Reviews
Aspen, CO
Yardley...
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

Thank you so much for these great ideas ! Will explore these options~

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

Your 10 year old is the perfect age to visit Mesa Verde Natl Park, so that would tend to swing my vote toward SW Colorado. Aspen's a beautiful area and there's lots to do, but the combination of Mesa Verde and the San Juan Skyway is hard to beat when your origination point is Grand Junction. It makes a great loop trip and your rental car will usually be more reasonable if you pick it up and return it at the same location.

Mentioned in this post
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

In July it is going to be hot, hot, hot in Gateway. Right there are hiking trails but start early in the morning. When in Gateway take John Brown Canyon Road (unpaved but well maintained) all the way to Moab, UT. In July Crested Butte is famous for spectacular wildflower displays. Grand Mesa has some fantastic trails and wildflowers could be amazing too. Many lakes on Grand Mesa are great for fishing. Including Ouray, Aspen and Crested Butte, could work as a very scenic loop for your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Gateway
Gateway
Colorado
Moab
Moab
Utah
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

If you are in a rental car, then beware of going on anything but paved roads. There usually is a clause in the contracts that says you are to stay on pavement and if you go off pavement then you void the contract and that causes problems. Such as no roadside assistance in case your car breaks down or you have any emergency while off pavement. Tows and other help can be very expensive, not unusual for them to charge hefty fees to come from the city to some way out of the way road to help out somebody. I've heard of $1,000.00 tow bills. And since you are in the mountains the cell phone coverage may be spotty at times, meaning you hike out to get to a place you can make a call to begin with. So, imho, stay off of gravel, dirt roads.

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

Going up high will likely sound good after Gateway. Aspen is amazing in the summer- music, arts, hiking, biking, rafting, and more. After 3 or 4 days you will be planning your next trip.

Crested Butte is another nice mountain town during summer that is a little more low key but with plenty of outdoor activities. If cost is an issue, CB is less expensive.

Unless you love the heat, I would go to the mountains rather than to southern CO.

Mentioned in this post
Gateway
Gateway
Colorado
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

Heat is not an issue in Ouray, Durango or Telluride or any of the other mountain towns in southern CO. Elevation is always the difference. Cortez may be the only town mentioned that could be hot but it is a gateway town to Mesa Verde National Park, which is at a higher elevation and a one of a kind historical jewel.

Aspen is also a jewel but honest info is what people are looking for on this forum. Let's give them that and let them make their own decisions.

Edited: 9:55 am, April 17, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Elevation
Elevation
46 Reviews
Aspen, CO
Cortez
Cortez
Colorado
10. Re: Gateway CO & Aspen CO with family in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 19, 2015