We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day hike from Aspen to Crested Butte

Kansas City
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Day hike from Aspen to Crested Butte

Hello! Our hike is all set for July 16, 2013. I was told by the shuttle service we should start our hike at 7 AM to be picked up on the other side by 2 or 3. How does that sound? Any heads up on how to dress? Should I plan on it being cold anywhere?? Thanks!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day hike from Aspen to Crested Butte

Rain gear for sure and I'd recommend waterproof hiking boots. Here's a nice blog I had bookmarked on the hike that may give more insight into the trip.

denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_23234477/aspen-…

If you're taking the Conumdrum trail here's some comments from people.

aspenchamber.org/what-to-do/…

BTW you won't be alone. You might think you're in a city park with all the people you will prob see. CB expert smushie is the local hiking expert with enough advice to fill a knapsnak ;)

Edited: 10:05 pm, July 08, 2013
Kansas City
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day hike from Aspen to Crested Butte

Thank you for your reply. So I guess it's almost impossible to make a wrong turn?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
480 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day hike from Aspen to Crested Butte

I was asking about this hike last week when I was there and was advised that it can be difficult to fine the trail in some places so I wouldn't say it is impossible to miss.

We hiked back about 1 1/2 hours into the trail and the temps were really nice but at times the winds were blowing and required a jacket with our shorts.

I'm anxious to hear about your experience when you come back as we are considering doing this over Labor Day, weather permitting.

4. Re: Day hike from Aspen to Crested Butte

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 11, 2014