We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
45 posts
282 reviews
Save Topic
First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

Hi - We are coming from Denver for a 4-day hike of the four pass loop in the Maroon Bells. We thought about getting a jump start by camping the night before near Aspen, but most of the nearby campgrounds are first come first served for tent camping. Does anyone have an idea how likely we are to get a campsite at Silver Queen, Lincoln Gulch, or any of the nearby spots if we don't arrive until the afternoon? It will be Sunday, July 1. Ominous feeling...

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

It might be a tough go if you're coming so late. Busy week in the area. Check out the link below for possible help. A few listed require reservations which may be your best bet.

aspensnowmass.com/summer-recreation/…camping

Presume you first tried the search engine at http://www.recreation.gov/.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,943 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

Consider reserving a campsite at Redstone CG near Redstone or Mollie B near Basalt, both in White River NF, not exactly in Aspen, but closer and they have openings.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

I was also going to suggest the Mollie B. You could also contact the ranger district and ask where dispersed camping is allowed in case you can't find an open campsite.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
45 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

Thanks, everyone! The closer sites on recreation.gov were booked, so I'll check your suggestions. All solid leads!

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

Bears are a concern right now. A couple of articles on the subject follow. Certain restrictions are in place right now so beware and take caution, especially if camping at a dispersed site.

aspentimes.com/article/…120539996

kdvr.com/2012/…

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

Sites say checkout is at 2p for the "Silver" sites. How does the first come process work at these sites? Anyone know? We're looking to stay for 2 nights around Aug 20th.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

Good question but don't know answer. Call forest service at 970-925-3445

Have you tried to reserve?

http://www.recreation.gov/campsiteSearch.do

Note: we've got a fire ban in effect. Who knows by August.

aspentimes.com/article/…120619829

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

I stayed at a 1st come/served Silver site a couple years ago.....got there, picked my site, paid at the gate going into the area.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
45 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

It's been several weeks since we were there. I was assured by a local acquaintance that there are plenty of places to walk of the road a little ways and camp. This turned out not to be the case. (There is a reason I plan.) We wanted to be near the Four Pass Loop trail head, but all of the Silver camps were full. We ended up starting our trip early and hiked up to Crater Lake and found a campsite there. That turned out to be a mostly OK thing, except I was planning to carry a little less food and water the first mile. Oh, well. The hike was spectacular.

10. Re: First come/served campgrounds around Aspen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 29, 2013