We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lack of snow?

Which Aspen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore
Level Contributor
43 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Lack of snow?

Can anyone tell me what the snow/ski situation is in Aspen today? From the weather forecasts, it appears to be very little and nothing in the next few weeks...I'm coming out the second week of December and just want to prepare myself for perhaps not great skiing conditions...

Thanks!

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,228 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lack of snow?

There is no way to predict what might happen in the next 2 weeks. There is snow in the forecast later this week:

www.snowforecast.com/coloradofcst/aspen.html

Edited: 6:11 pm, November 27, 2011
Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lack of snow?

I agree completely with Babalax. Long range forecasts are rarely accurate. I was out this weekend and I think it feels like an average to a little better than average opening to me. I've seen better opening weekends and definitely seen worse. The grooming is in good shape and the only really hard pack areas on Aspen were the very high traffic zones such as the top of Little Nell.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,705 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lack of snow?

I'm in Aspen every year on Thanksgiving for the World Cup races. This was, by far, the best overall conditions I've ever seen on Thanksgiving in recent years. For sure it's still partial operation, but far greater than most years and truly outstanding skiing for what was open.

Have fun.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lack of snow?

Aspen isn't known for great early season skiing, so yes, lower your expectations. I too sometimes take early season trips, but I know that along with those early season deals I will probably get less than ideal conditions. Aspen is a really fun town with other interesting things to do, so at least you won't be stuck at some remote, purpose built ski resort if conditions are bad.

5. Re: Lack of snow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 am, June 23, 2013