We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aspen Vineyards/Wineries

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Aspen Vineyards/Wineries

My boyfriend and I are looking for an outdoorsy but romantic, 5-night vacation in early October. The initial plan was Napa but we got shut out of the Verasa SPG resort so we're looking for the next best option.

Are there wineries or vineyards we would be able to visit within a one or two hour drive from Aspen?

Also, I've only ever been to Aspen in the winter. What's the weather like in early October and what activities are there to do besides skiing?

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aspen Vineyards/Wineries

Colorado is not known for it's wineries, especially compared to Napa. Palisaides has a couple, but in my opinion I wouldn't drive 2 hours to get there. Minturn Cellars comes to mind also, if you are driving up from Denver it might be a nice little break in the drive.

Aspen has some great restaurants with amazing wine lists, you'll likely find better wines there. The weather should be sunny days with cool nights, possibly a dusting of snow. You could go hiking, hire a guide for fly fishing, go up Independence Pass or Maroon Bells.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,190 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aspen Vineyards/Wineries

There are much better wine areas than western Colorado, plus early October in Aspen area is beginning to get cool, possible snow flurries etc. But early October in Aspen, means probably some golden aspen trees. You can bike, hike, shop, dine etc. Plus they do sell wine there, lol!

Look at the Willamette Valley in Oregon or Yakima Valley in Washington, though I'm sure there are other high end hotels near Napa or Sonoma Valley.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aspen Vineyards/Wineries

I agree with the other posters, if you're making a distance trip there are far better wine regions to go to than Colorado.

Most important, Aspen in October is firmly in off-season. There is no skiing for another 6 weeks, but most tourists are long gone. The gondola will be closed for the season so weather permitting you can do some hiking, and probably 50% of restaurants will be open, but there will not be any festivals or other dedicated town based activities during that time.

If you want peace, quiet, hiking (assuming no snow), some shops, and good deals on the restaurants that are open then October will work for you.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aspen Vineyards/Wineries

Ouray's Wine Country could also be Aspen wine country...

…boxcanyonouray.com/bid/64208/Ouray-s-Wine-C…

You would pop over McClure Pass into Paonia from Carbondale. Some people might think it isn't great like Napa, but, it is sure fun... Aspen might be getting a little cool but Paonia will be delightful.

Check out the wine map

www.deltacountycolorado.com/pdf/wine_map.pdf

October weather could be problematic but Paonia is very temperate and delightful 8 months of the year, including October typically!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,379 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aspen Vineyards/Wineries

I love early October in Colorado. The weather is usually darn near perfect if you like sunny but mild days and cool mornings and evenings. Snow, if there is any yet, is usually mostly on the mountain peaks and only adds to the beauty. And there are no crowds. Yes, you do have a chance of snow/rain, so if hiking you should be prepared for inclement weather. (Of course, that should be the case even in the middle of summer! )

In addition to the Paonia area wineries, western Colorado has Palisade/Grand Junction with more than a couple of wineries--more like 20 or so:

palisadetourism.com/colorado-wineries-spirit…

www.visitgrandjunction.com/wine_country/

Hmmm, any chance you could come for the Wine Festival? http://www.coloradowinefest.com/index.html

If you were making the trip just for the wine, maybe there are better places...but for a romantic, outdoorsy vacation with wine country as a part, Colorado has a lot to offer, IMO. But Jennifer74 has given you a good picture of the advantages and disadvantages of Aspen in October.

6. Re: Aspen Vineyards/Wineries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, October 10, 2012