We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aspen in August?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aspen in August?

We are spending three nights in Vail and trying to decide if we should spend two nights in Aspen or Breckenridge. My husband and I will be childless (leaving baby with grandparents- mixed feelings about this as I'll miss him) but looking for romantic couple time (and sleep!). We'd like to hike, maybe swim or relax in the hot tub, drink some wine, walk around and chill. I'm worried that Breckenridge will be too kid friendly but Aspen seems like a big (yet upscale) mall. Plus, we'd like to spend less than $200/night and rooms in Breck seemed a little worn (staying in the Tivoli in Vail). Thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Tivoli Lodge
Tivoli Lodge
1,353 Reviews
Vail, CO
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aspen in August?

I'm wondering where you got the impression that Aspen is like "a big (yet upscale) mall"? That couldn't be further from the truth. Aspen is a lovely town. It is a real town as opposed to Vail which is a manufactured ski village. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Vail. But I prefer Aspen. If Aspen is out of your budget then Breckenridge would be a good substitute. It is also a real Victorian town with lots of shops, restaurants and activities.

Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aspen in August?

Some good Aspen info at http://www.aspenchamber.org/ to give you a feel for the town. The Tivoli is very high end luxury and yes most place in Breck don't compare but you'll find similar lodging in Aspen but can't say if Aug prices will be at or near $2 bills.

Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Tivoli Lodge
Tivoli Lodge
1,353 Reviews
Vail, CO
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Aspen in August?

Just saw a few things about shopping and while I've lived in Dallas and NYC I'm over the it (especially window shopping at high end places) now. It seems that I'm wrong about the mall vibe in Aspen anyway which is great!

So, all things equal which town would you choose? Why do you prefer Aspen? Sell me on it!

Thanks to both of you!

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aspen in August?

Aspen is quieter than Breck and I think has a more romantic vibe. You might try looking at the Viceroy in Snowmass Village, they sometimes have good specials. Check www.stayaspensnowmass.com for specials also.

Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,064 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aspen in August?

Aspen for me. You can go south of there to a genuine ghost town (Ashcroft), you can visit a gorgeous area (Maroon Bells), the world's largest natural hot springs pool is up valley at Glenwood Springs, you can hike, ride bikes, so much to see and do. Gorgeous wildflowers also at high elevations so bring your cameras.

Mentioned in this post
Maroon Bells
Maroon Bells
2,093 Reviews
Aspen, CO
Plymouth, MN
Level Contributor
21 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aspen in August?

I really like Aspen. It's a cool town, although incredibly expensive to reside. Amazing scenery and activities, plus fantastic restaurants. Late summer and fall are the best times to be there other than powder days!

Mentioned in this post
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
7. Re: Aspen in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 08, 2012