We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight in Aspen nothing fancy & avoid "resort fees"

midwest
Level Contributor
135 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
overnight in Aspen nothing fancy & avoid "resort fees"

I've been looking at places in Aspen to stay overnight with my wife while touring the mountains. She wants to walk the shops in Aspen and I figured it would be better to stay in town. We're restless sleepers so either 2 queens or a king works. The problem I'm having is that most of the places I've checked so far have these resort fees. We don't need a resort, just a place for the night. Anyone know of a nice quite place in the town>

Thanks.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight in Aspen nothing fancy & avoid "resort fees"

Another poster recently inquired about the Hearthstone, but I did not see any replies. It is centrally located within walking distance of the downtown shopping district, and looks like the rates are not bad for your timeframe:

stayaspensnowmass.com/pr-hearthstone-house-b…

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight in Aspen nothing fancy & avoid "resort fees"

For easy walking access and basic accommodations I would recommend the Mountain Chalet.

http://www.mountainchaletaspen.com/

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29141-d82766-R…

midwest
Level Contributor
135 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight in Aspen nothing fancy & avoid "resort fees"

Babalax & doughb328,

Thanks for your input. I'll check out the links and see what they have to offer.

Edited: 1:22 pm, May 21, 2011
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight in Aspen nothing fancy & avoid "resort fees"

I've stayed at the Hotel Aspen and found it very convenient to walking around town. Not a bad price either.

I'm not sure you can avoid resort fee's unless you stay completely out of Aspen proper. Many ski towns actually vote a resort fee into hotel room costs. It adds to the overall city tax collection. May as well pass on some of the costs to visitors. I can't actually confirm that all places do it. You might ask when you call to book.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: overnight in Aspen nothing fancy & avoid "resort fees"

Many times resort fees don't really mean you are staying at a resort. They cover things like wifi, morning paper, coffee in the lobby, parking if you're lucky, amenities that were once complimentary no longer are, just like free checked baggage.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
270 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: overnight in Aspen nothing fancy & avoid "resort fees"

A clarification of taxes and fees. The hotel tax in Aspen is 10% and everyone who stays in a hotel or condo for fewer than 30 days pays that. "Resort fees" are not taxes but are charged by some places to cover services that in my opinion should be part of the room rate.

Many hotels and condos in Aspen do not have resort fees - including I think Mountain Chalet and Hearthstone which are both in good locations for walking around.

midwest
Level Contributor
135 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: overnight in Aspen nothing fancy & avoid "resort fees"

Thanks to all for your information. After talking to my wife, showing her the map and explaining the distances, we have decided to stop in Aspen for a day and move on. Too much to see in the area a too little time before we must get to Denver to visit with our son while he's on is days off.

8. Re: overnight in Aspen nothing fancy & avoid "resort fees"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:35 am, May 24, 2012