We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting the Roaring Fork

Denver
Level Contributor
422 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rafting the Roaring Fork

Has anyone rafted the Roaring Fork river near Aspen? How does it compare to say, rafting the Arkansas or the Colorado? I'm an avid rafter, and I'm wondering if it is worth doing, and, if so, what makes it worthwhile (scenery, rapids, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

(sorry if this seems like a double post, but I realized I filed this in the wrong forum the first time!)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting the Roaring Fork

The Roaring Fork is really not in the same league as the Ark or Colorado. As you probably know, the Arkansas has some of the most challenging rapids around, especially in high water and even then they are sometimes un-runable. The Colorado River trips out of Glenwood are fairly tame as compared to other streatches on the Colorado or Green or Yampa rivers. The Roaring Fork in the early season can be very exciting but as the water level drops, so does the excitement. Remember the Roaring Fork headwaters are basically coming from Aspen so there is not much water accumulation available as compared to the Ark or Colo rivers. By the way, I grew up in Aspen and have rafted most every streatch of the RF, CO, Ark, Green, Yampa rivers. If your trip to Aspen is all about rafting, you might be a little disappointed.