We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde

Which Alamosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arvada, Colorado
3 posts
Save Topic
Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde

Hi there,

We are trying to plan a vacation 8/14/13 thru 8/17/13. We would like to see Great Sand Dunes Park in Alamosa and Mesa Verde National park. We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 children. I am having a difficult time booking a hotel for a hotel for one night in Alamosa and 2 in Mesa Verde. A nice clean reasonable hotel room. Doesn't have to be fancy. Any tips?

8 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,703 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde

Lodging inside Mesa Verde NP is limited to 1 hotel Far View Lodge. Otherwise you will need to stay in Cortez, Mancos or Durango, with Cortez and Mancos being the closest. Check those areas for lodging options.

We haven't been to Durango in a few years, but used to stay at the Doubletree. Also for cheap we stayed at Iron Horse Inn.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
89 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde

The iron horse is good. the super 8 is cheap and good oin durango.

alamosa has the super 8 which is cheap and ok.

the holiday inn express is also decent in alamosa

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde

What places have you tried?

I'm pretty sure the Far View Lodge would be booked up, but it would be worth checking so you could stay in the park. If they are booked, then I might suggest Baymont Inn & Suites in Cortez as one that might have a larger room to suit your family. We haven't stayed there in a long time, but last time we did it was nice. There's a Holiday Inn right next door, but they always seem a little pricey to us... We've stayed at Days Inn...we've always found it reasonable and clean, but I'm not sure what they offer in the way of a larger room. They might have two adjoining small rooms that would work for your family if they don't have a larger one. We've also stayed at Super 8, and it has been okay for us. (I think the beds at Days Inn are more comfortable, and it has a pool and a roomier breakfast area, plus a little better breakfast than Super 8.)

As for the Great Sand Dunes, the closest lodging in the Great Sand Dunes Lodge. If that is booked, then the Oasis Campground and Motel is next closest. I don't know what their rooms look like, but the pool would be fun for the family, especially after the Dunes. The park website has a list of nearby accomodations, too.

www.nps.gov/ns/grsa/planyourvisit/lodging.htm You should be able to find something in Alamosa.

Here are the Trip Advisor reviews, and you can enter your date and get a good idea of price and availability.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g29129-Alamosa_Colora…

Arvada, Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde

Thanks everybody. Some good tips. We got everything booked. New question. We were going to go from Mesa Verde to Four Corners. When I was using google maps it said there was a toll road? I can't figure out where it would be. If so how much is it and what would be another option? I know sometimes it's just better to do the toll as a time and sanity saver.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
89 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde

No tolls. US 160 west out of Mesa Verde takes you to it.

Sometimes google maps gets into the bad mushrooms and gives out bizarre ideas.

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
638 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde

Correct - no tolls to drive to 4 Corners. There is, however, a small fee to actually visit the 4 Corners monument.

Mancos, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde

The small fee being five dollars a head, which is pretty steep for what you get- maximum of three pictures of yourself standing in a nondescript plaza with some lines on the ground. Also, it's cash only, so a family of five will need to drop 25 bucks cash to use the portapotty or else do a u-turn and find a bush. There are booths there where you can buy ostensibly native-made jewelry and trinkets, but as I don't travel with a fat wad of cash, I didn't bother looking at them.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde

Rootbeer66, since this thread is three years old and is on the Alamosa forum, you might want to voice your opinion by writing a review. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie… I seeyou are new to Trip Advisor and am sorry you may not have known to check out some reviews before visiting. you would have known that the monument is on Navajo land, known about the fee, the vendors, the flat dusty landscape and the lack of services. Four Corners is one of those places that may be worth it to some for its uniqueness (geography lesson for the kids, "been there done that" etc.) but not for everyone!

Reply to: Want to visit Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted