We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you find a room on Catalina in the summer??

Northern CA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
How do you find a room on Catalina in the summer??

I'm coming to Catalina Island July 21, 22, 2006 and looking for a reasonable hotel room in Avalon or Two Harbors. Even settle for a tent cabin. But checking all the websites, nothing is available except a few very expensive hotels/rooms. Is there a secret to getting a reasonable room on Catalina in the Summer booking 4 months in advance? Does everybody book a year in advance or something or do the tour operators book all the rooms and you have to go through them?

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you find a room on Catalina in the summer??

All hotels in Avalon are expensive ($150 a night is a cheap off season rate). Since you are trying to book for a weekend in high season, the cheapest room you will likely find is $225/night. I would be surprised if you can't get a room at the Pavilion Lodge for this amount.

http://www.pavilionlodge.com/

Also see

http://www.catalinahotels.com/

Oakalnd
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you find a room on Catalina in the summer??

If all you are looking for is a room with few extras call the Hermosa Hotel at 1-310-510-1010. The rooms are about $85.00 per night for the best one. They are small but have bath, shower, fridge, small stove. No A/C, no heat, no TV, and no phones. Just a bed, bath and a roof.

Or call Cloud7Hotel at 1-800-422-6836. There rates are $70-120 a night with all the goodies you need. Only problem is once you make a resovation you CANT cancel and you lose all your money. Cloud 7 has good packages to. I am staying there in June of 06 and the total cost for me is $602.00 That is 5 nights, round trip boat fare, glass bottom boat tour and a scenic tour. Not bad.

If all else fails goto www.catalinaexpress.com, that will show you all the hotels that throw in specials.

Good luck.

John

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you find a room on Catalina in the summer??

The Atwater Hotel has a King with a view of a roof for $99, we are getting a Queen with city view and no ac or heat. We are going July 7-9, 2006. The Hermosa Hotel was sold out but they have weekend rates of $50 a weekend night- but you have to share a bathroom.