We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm confused. Please help.

Northern Mississippi
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I'm confused. Please help.

I was interested in visiting Catalina Island in August for a honeymoon. The problem is I don't know the best way to get there. Do you have to take a plane to a city on shore and take a boat to Catalina? Is there a good package that involves transportation and hotel? Thanks.

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

try posting this on the long beach forum. I have been to Catalina but I think we left from Long beach ...or maybe it was Laguna Beach....but i'm fairly certain it was long beach. Did you check the website for Catalina Island?

Northern Mississippi
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

No, I haven't checked there. Right now after looking at all my options with a very small budget of $3500. I think I might as well keep on dreaming. lol. Thanks for replying.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

www.catalinaexpress.com has information and packages (boat + hotel). Your best bet would be to fly to Long Beach Airport (LGB) then taxi to the Catalina Express terminal in Long Beach (about 8 miles).

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

I just returned from Catalina last night. We flew into LAX, shuttled from there to Long Beach and took the Catalina Express over. It sounds like a lot but it really wasn't. It was very convienent and the right price. We didn't use reservations on the boat, but they are recommended. The only reason we didn't use them was because we were traveling at slow times (Thursday @ 2p, Monday @ 8a). Another user said to travel into Long Beach...we found that it was hard to find flights to LB, but we were traveling quite a distance. Catalina would be a great idea for a honeymoon. We stayed for five nights at Hamilton Cove and it was completely worth it. We would have stayed forever if we could.

Northern Mississippi
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to look some more but with my budget ($3500) it might not work out. I will definitely look into the packages.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

How many nights are you looking to stay? Our local AAA often offers boat/hotel packages that are quite reasonable, I think 3500 is a decent budget and you should be able to do it.

Northern Mississippi
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

I'm looking to stay 6-7 nights. After reading the reviews and doing a little research about the Avalon Hotel, I would probably enjoy to stay there a lot.

Northern Mississippi
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

Does the Avalon Hotel have air-conditioners? It looks like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. All the more luxurious suites/rooms seem to be booked up at the "upscale" hotels. I was looking at Hamilton Cove until i realized that the units do not have air conditioners. What can I do? I just want a nice hotel room with a balcony and an ocean view that is air-conditioned. Other nice amenities would be great too.

S. Big Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

I doubt you will need an air conditioner. The ocean which is about 60 degrees or less this time of year is good enough. Even in late summer the ocean temp is usually below 70 degrees. It doesn't get that hot in Catalina

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm confused. Please help.

You definitely do not need a/c there! It's not at all like summers in Mississipi. I think Hamilton Cove would be lovely for a honeymoon.