We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Northern Cali/Redwood Ideas- Accom/Hikes/Restaurants

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Need Northern Cali/Redwood Ideas- Accom/Hikes/Restaurants

My husband and I are celebrating our 1st anniversary by driving the PCH from Seattle to Newport Beach. We're 30, adventurous, love hiking, new places, good food, wine, etc. We're staying with friends and family in Seattle and then McMinnville, OR, then would like to get somewhere near the Redwood Forests/Arcata/? from there- 8/26, so we can wake up and spend at least a 1/2 day exploring the redwood area. Problem is, not sure where to stay, and then what to see?? We could either splurge and stay somewhere great on the coast w/ great ammenties, or somewhere with a great location rather since we won't have much time to enjoy the accommodations. Once we stay over here, it would be great to hike arond for a half-day and then head south to see some of the tourist sights, which are worth it? The drive thru tree? Trees of Mystery? Where is the world's largest tree, or some other 'must sees'? Ideally we'd get to Mendocino later that night to stay, and then head to SF in the am. Any great places to stop for lunch or dinner? THanks so much for your help!!!

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Northern Cali/Redwood Ideas- Accom/Hikes/Restaurants

We were just in Mendocino two weeks ago and enjoyed these: Agate Cove Inn which was right across the road from beautiful coastline views and had lovely rooms, dinners at Cafe Beaujolais and 935 Ukiah, and canoeing up the Big River. The town is also fun to browse in for an hour or so.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Northern Cali/Redwood Ideas- Accom/Hikes/Restaurants

I like your plan to spend time in the northern coastal parks and at least part of a day in the southern inland parks. As far as where to hike in the redwoods, each one of us who live here have our own favorite places and the question has been answered many times. I suggest you search "redwoods" in the Eurkea forum. You will find a lot of information on both the National Park and State Parks in Del Norte and Humboldt Counties. That will give you some ideas on were you want to spend your time and therefore, where you want to stay. Once you narrow it down some, we could answer specific questions.

3. Re: Need Northern Cali/Redwood Ideas- Accom/Hikes/Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:37 am, January 10, 2010