We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arcadia for the English Tourist!

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Arcadia for the English Tourist!

We are visiting the area in early April - and are not keen on staying in Downtown LA. We do however want to visit the Six Flags and Universal Theme Parks - blame a teenage son! Is it a reasonable drive - or is it a dumb idea?

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arcadia for the English Tourist!

You'll be a bit far from Universal and Six Flags Magic Mountain if you stay in Downtown LA or Arcadia. Arcadia is about 22 miles from Universal Studios and even further from Six Flags. You might try staying near Universal Studios which is not close to Downtown LA. That would put you not oonly near Universal Studios but also closer to Six Flags Magic Mountain. If you stay near Universal Studios.

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arcadia for the English Tourist!

Thanks for the info. . . Loll

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arcadia for the English Tourist!

I lived in arcadia for 20 years so here are my thoughts--

arcadia to universal is a pretty easy drive. Without traffic, you can do it in about 25-30 minutes.

Six Flags is further away, but its kind of in the boonies anyways so even if you were to stay in LA, you wont be saving yourself that much time. You can make to Six Flags in about 45 minutes or so.

Im assuming you are staying with relatives cause Arcadia isnt exactly a place for tourist other than those visiting teh race track or staying in tow for the rose parade. If im correct, just keep your location as it'll save you a ton of money and its not worth it to get a hotel just to save a few minutes.

L.A. 'burbs, CA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arcadia for the English Tourist!

Hi Loll -

I too grew up in the Arcadia area and Universal and Six Flags are both easily accessible if you don't go during rush hour. From Arcadia to Universal (if you wait until after 9:00) should only take you about 1/2 hour. In rush hour it would probably be at least double that. For Six Flags in Valencia it will probably take you about 45 minutes. You would actually be going against traffic in the morning, but coming home I would wait until after 7:00 or so because the 5 south does get clogged up starting around 4:30 when you approach LA.

I think you are right not to stay downtown. If not Arcadia, you may want to stay in Pasadena. There are a lot more things to do, restaurants and great shops and the Norton Simon Museum. If not, Arcadia is actually adjacent to Pasadena so still easily accessible by car. You will need a car!

Let me know if you need any info on Arcadia/Pasadena as I have lived in the area my whole life!

Get answers to your questions about Arcadia