We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yoesmite

Washington, Michigan
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
9 helpful votes
yoesmite

We will be staying in angels camp for a few days in july and want to do a day trip to yosemite. I know that it's a 2,5 hour drive. Is it a nice drive? Will it be too crowded to get in to the park? I heard that they limit the number of people who get in per day. Is this true?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
77,810 posts
198 reviews
144 helpful votes
1. Re: yoesmite

Hi

Yes it's a long drive. It's in the foothills and the mountains, so I think it's nice.

No, it will not be too crowded to get in vast Yosemite NP. You'll use the Big Oak Flat entrance which has 3 ranger kiosks; short wait.

There is not a limit of number of visitors in Yosemite. If all of the parking lots are full in Yosemite Valley, you won't be allowed to drive in. You'll be funneled back out on the one way roads.

Read the relevant Top Questions & Trip Ideas on the right side of the Yosemite forum page. In particular, read the One Day Itineraries in the Trip Ideas. (You need to be on the full TripAdvisor website to see these; the mobile app won't work.)

Try to get to the Big Oak Flat entrance gate by 8:00 or 8:30 am. Head to the Valley for a while. Follow your planned itinerary. Note that seasonal Yosemite Falls will probably be dry. Then go to the one other place you've included in your itinerary ... probably Glacier Point or Tuolumne Meadows, but maybe Tuolumne Grove of Giant Sequoias. That pretty much fills your day. Bringing a picnic lunch will allow you more time for tourism and less time in lines.

Yosemite: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g61000-i315

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
45,125 posts
1,191 reviews
2,855 helpful votes
2. Re: yoesmite

It is a nice drive, but realize that you will be going up a mountain, then back down at the end of the day. Just so you know - some folks don't realize that :-)

Getting there *early* is very important.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
368 reviews
265 helpful votes
3. Re: yoesmite

Google Maps says just over 2 hours on the most direct route, using Hwy. 120. You might return using Hwy. 140, as a change of scenery (including seeing some less crowded parts of Hwy. 49). I also vote for departing AC early (real, real early). Yosemite will be crowded, and your day shortened by traffic and looking for parking.

Edited: 6:57 pm, May 25, 2014
4. Re: yoesmite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, June 26, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Angels Camp