We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stops from Auburn on 16 and 49

Which Angels Camp hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
162 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Stops from Auburn on 16 and 49

We plan to drive to WorldMark Angels Camp from Auburn-Folsom road in Sept. The drive is over 2 hours and we would like to stop once or twice on the way. It looks like we'll take Auburn-Folsom to Scott Road to16 to 49. What are a good couple of places to stop and walk around or at least get something to drink?

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stops from Auburn on 16 and 49

I wonder where you came up with that route? The quickest way is to stay on the main highways. Either 49 all the way to Angel's Camp from Auburn or take the quickest route which would take you down I-80 to Sacramento to US50 to 16 and then 49.

Scott Road looks like a back road from the AAA map and may not be a good choice.

There's several wineries around Plymouth that would make a nice stop and you could get something to drink. Otherwise, all the major Gold Rush towns on 49 have interesting buildings and plenty of roadside eateries.

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stops from Auburn on 16 and 49

Not sure where you're coming from that you're hitting Auburn Folsom. There are many routes that will get you to the Gold Country. From Auburn Folsom (in Folsom it's Folsom-Auburn), you can take East Bidwell to east on Hiway 50 to Latrobe Road (El Dorado Hills exit) and that will take you to 16 and after a left on 16 it's not too far until you hit 49 and take a right and head to Angels Camp. It seems to me that it too me about an hour or hour 1/2 (2 tops) from the Rocklin area to Angels Camp using that route. Otherwise, if you are in Auburn, it's a nice drive to take 49 all the way across. Either way, lots of places to stop to eat or sightsee.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,788 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stops from Auburn on 16 and 49

Hwy 49 is a great drive all the way - Marshall Gold Discovery SHP, Jackson is interesting, there is an excellent museum in San Andreas:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g33006-d20…

Look on the map and you can enter each town name in the search box at the top right of this page to find things to see and do.

For example, Jackson, then click on "Things to Do" =

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32535-Activitie…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stops from Auburn on 16 and 49

Have you been to World Mark Angels Camp before? We've been going there regularly since 2003 and really enjoy it, so I hope you have a good time. It can get really busy (loud, etc.) on week-ends, with the boaters though. The last time we were there last year they hadn't quite finished upgrading some of the units so make sure to get a newer one.

We like to winetaste so often stop in Plymouth on the way (the Shenandoah Valley Appelation) on the way. Many tiny wineries with friendly greeters. A center of some excellent wineries with old vine zins (our favorites). We always stop at the diner on the corner also (Marlene and Glenn's, I think they call it) ---- owned by friends of ours (even though that's not their name). Cute town.

We also like getting off the main part of 49, going through Sutter Creek and sometimes stopping at Jackson Rancheria.

Have a great time and spend some time in the lovely town of Murphys, with its fascinating Gold Rush history, Ironstone Vineyards and all the tiny tasting rooms.

Enjoy.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stops from Auburn on 16 and 49

I live in Roseville & the 49 Drive to Angel's camp is one of my favorite drives in sports car. 50 to Latrobe to 16 to 49 is most direct as "...mom" above suggests.

We like going through Sutter's Creek because nice little shops & a couple restaurants. There is now a by pass around Sutter Creek so look for the turn off.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,938 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stops from Auburn on 16 and 49

You got it, DAM ---- in the old days (born and raised in Sacramento), it used to be such a fun jaunt to spend a couple of days driving old 49, going through all the little towns. So, the OP definitely has to look for Sutter Creek.

If possible, don't miss the old Kennedy Mines in Jackson. When I was a photography student in the 60's, it was one of our favorite places to spend the day and take stunning black & white photos. Historic to the max.

Sure hope all that stuff is still there ---- I think I saw the wheel on our last trip.

Much to see along the way.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stops from Auburn on 16 and 49

If you see the drink "Sarsparilla" in one of the old gold rush saloons, be sure to try some. Some of these old saloons seem like they haven't changed since 1860. They are cool, dark, and dusty.

8. Re: Stops from Auburn on 16 and 49

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, June 26, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Angels Camp